FORUMS: list search recent posts

35mm 3perf + FLEx file workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Hannam
35mm 3perf + FLEx file workflow
on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:52:27 pm

I just shot a 35mm 3perf short film and have it transferred at the lab to Apple ProRes 4444 24fps, straight to hard drive. I've never worked with a FLEx file before, but I got one from the lab, as well as a .ale and .flr files.

I don't have a lot of experience with Cinema Tools but from what I've read on this forum (and the user manual) I need to create a new database and then open the FLEx through that--which works fine. My clips are automatically added to the bin, but they are all offline. I don't have the option to reconnect them. Am I overlooking something basic?

I've also tried to export a batch capture from Cinema Tools but it gives me the same results.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Brett Hannam
Re: 35mm 3perf + FLEx file workflow
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:49:11 pm

I guess the real problem is trying to 'batch capture'. Since I have one giant file sitting on the HD I obviously can't transfer from a tape that doesn't exist. But the Log and Capture window pops up and tells me I don't have device control (it's not wrong on that one!) but the log and transfer window doesn't come up at all...

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
Re: 35mm 3perf + FLEx file workflow
on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:29:51 pm

The basic idea of cinema tools:

For every record in Cinema tools (each line of your flex file, which is basically timecode to keycode translation), there is a quicktime file.

You get the information about that piece of your movie into cinema tools from the flex file.

You also edit with that file in Final Cut. That file gets into final cut either through capturing from tape (where you export a batch list from Cinema Tools, bring that list into FinalCut, and batch capture from the list). Or, you could have had individual files made during the tranfer from film to disc, in which case the information in Cinema Tools matches quicktime files you already have.

If you have one large video file, you will have to break it down into quicktimes that match your cinema tools database.

One you have a number of quicktime files, which each match a data record in Cinema Tools, then you link the cinema tools data record to the quicktime file from within cinema tools.

I suggest you read the manual for Cinema Tools, because there is a lot to this.

If you're not cutting negative, then you don't really need to use Cinema Tools usually.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved