FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alpha effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Fraser
Alpha effects
on Jun 7, 2011 at 1:50:13 pm

I just downloaded a folder of Alpha effects to use with Final Cut Pro. How do I get them into the program so that I can use them.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Alpha effects
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:26:54 pm

You mean the alpha transition content?

Read the section in the manual on the alpha transition. This is content that you use in your project to activate the alpha transition.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Barry Fraser
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:38:02 pm

Yes the Alpha transitions folder has many of them in it and I want to make it available the same as all the other effects and transitions in final cut.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:49:42 pm

The content you download are NOT transitions. You cannot add the video content to the transitions menu. The transition is in the Wipe folder or submenu and is called alpha transition. The content is added to the transition in the viewer. Did you read the section in the manual on how the alpha transition works?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Barry Fraser
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:42:27 pm

Yes get the content into FCP for use in any project.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:03:11 pm

They're just premade alpha mattes. There is nowhere on the app for alpha mattes to be stored. They're premade animations and mattes. Drag the folder into the browser for any project you wish to use them. Apply the alpha transition. Then drag the particular mattes and anims into the corresponding wells as per instructions.

Apple has just supplied a few samples. Digital juice, for example, has a large catalog of this stuff called swipes. Each swipe comes with the animation and one or two mattes. All NLEs can do this sort of stuff with alpha mattes and compositing modes. But it would take 4-5 layers stacked up. And changing the timing or sliding transition point was a hassle.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:37:05 pm

Can the Digital Juice swipes work in FCP?

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:59:31 pm

They work as overlays.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:02:17 pm

So you can't use them in the alpha transition wells I take it. Thanks.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:31:11 pm

Worked fine for me on my initial tests when they added the feature. Why wouldn't it? It's exactly what it is for. It's just marrying mattes to an animation. And as far as I can tell, if you shorten or lengthen, it's just adding a speed effect. No real magic here.

I'll double check later though.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:37:13 pm

Thanks Bret.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Brian Wells
on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:20:17 pm

If it's any help, Tom, we use the Digital Juice stuff constantly here. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, they all work beautifully as a simple overlay. Drop the transition/swipe on a high track and scootch it laterally so the proper frame(s) obscure the edit below. DJ usually gives you two or three frames of fullscreen coverage to cover any vertical edit.

For that hundredth occasion, they also supply perfectly matched alpha mattes to go with each transition as well as pretty much all their motion elements, L3rds, isolative overlays, etc. just in case you need the extra definition. Appropriate sound effects come with 'em, too.

I swear by the stuff, and highly recommend their backgrounds as well. Makes most of my projects very easy indeed, and I'll use them to help me cook up proprietary mo-graphs in Motion when I need something more brand-specific.

DJ do try awfully hard to convince you to use their proprietary media browser/organizer called Juicer, but I've had better luck just archiving the raw stuff itself so I don't have to keep loading DVD's to recall a toolkit I used six months ago. Select appropriately to your license/needs.

Brian Wells
Media Services
Walt Disney Travel Company
Anaheim, CA

Obligatory Disclaimer:
1) I work for a company. A not-so-small company. Any opinions I may express ought not to be assumed to be those of said company.

2) The content I create and the tools I use to create it are generally the property of said company, meaning it is highly unlikely I will be able to publicly share said content. In the event that I do share said content, any failure on my part to remove or obscure proprietary elements of said content shall not be construed as permission to do anything whatsoever with said elements or with said content as a whole.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:50:37 pm

Thanks Brian.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Barry Fraser
on Jun 8, 2011 at 11:44:29 am

Thanks to you Tom, Bret,Brian and Steve.

I now have the info I needed and things are working just fine.
Thanks,
Barry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]