FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to sync RED footage and audio?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Antepli
Best way to sync RED footage and audio?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:01:20 am

What is the best way to sync RED footage and audio in FCP, with online in mind?

In the last RED project I cut, we transcoded the RED footage to Prorez 422 Proxy, then used the "merge clip" feature to sync picture and sound -- which created brand new clips with a "merged" tag at the end.

However once we did that, it caused issues when we wanted to reconnect the footage for 2K online.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: Best way to sync RED footage and audio?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:27:08 pm

Hey Julie, it might help if you post more about the exact problems you encountered during the online re-connect.

I've only tested this workflow a little bit, but I recall following the the RED whitepapers and things went /mostly/ smooth. I recall having to manually recapture one clip, out of a five minute timeline (composed all with merged clips). You might want to try duplicating your sequence and deleting all the audio tracks, then doing the reconnect workflow, then marrying picture back with audio. I've found that the less you give FCP to think about, the smoother things generally go.

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
Re: Best way to sync RED footage and audio?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 7:55:52 pm

I would agree. Presumably, even if you're editing in LT, you're using full quality audio. You can prep/send your OMF from the offline LT edit, then upres for online with picture only and all sound removed. As long as the clip name/length/reel info remain the same, you shouldn't (I say cautiously) have any problems reconnecting to different resolution/codec media of the same clip, and the merged clip relationship to the audio shouldn't cause any problems because the audio is gone.

As standard practice, I always make an offline locked picture reference to compare my online reconnect against.

B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]