FORUMS: list search recent posts

PsF Debate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon smitherton
PsF Debate
on Jun 5, 2011 at 8:13:14 am

Hi,

I've looked on previous threads for answers, but am finding the whole PsF thing confusing.

I'm onlining shows that have been shot 720p50 on P2 and the EX3 (for slow-mo purposes) and am required to deliver 1080psf25 masters to HDCam, and the final broadcast master is SD PAL.

All good, media managing up to 1080p Prores is all fine - once I've checked with a BITC quicktime.

Now of course, before this workflow was implemented, some material was shot 1080i...and with the Media Managed project timeline of course this material has fields...

So my questions are:

1. Do I need to deinterlace these interleaved shots for a 25psf timeline?
2. If so, is using the simple 'de-interlace' plug ok or is it better to do the 2 clips comped trick?
3. If not, do you just deinterlace on output of the quicktime movie for client approval?

Many Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: PsF Debate
on Jun 5, 2011 at 11:06:08 am

1) Yes, if you actually want it to look progressive
2) and 3) FCP's built-in interlace is a bit rubbish ... dedicated commercial solutions like Revision Effects' Fields Kit is going to give you better quality.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jun 5, 2011 at 12:46:17 pm

Many thanks Andy...does that mean if I want to have a smoother interlaced look ... I can just leave the interlaced material in ...and it would still be ok for the PsF format - but in a progressive timeline?

More simply:

Do I have to de-interlace interlace material in a progressive timeline for the PsF format?

Thanks again,
Jon

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jun 5, 2011 at 2:28:21 pm

>does that mean if I want to have a smoother interlaced look ... I can just leave the interlaced material in ...and it would still be ok for the PsF format - but in a progressive timeline?

Well yes and no ... even though mixing progressive and interlaced material in this fashion (in a progressive timeline for eventual psf/interlaced delivery) is straight forward enough, you need to realise that a) its really not a good look to intercut sources with differing temporal characters, its very jarring for the viewer, and b) you need to be careful how you handle/process your true interlaced media in a progressive timeline as any timeline processing will happen at a frame rather field level.

Return to posts index

Eric Susch
on Jun 6, 2011 at 2:04:05 pm

What is this "2 clips comped trick" you speak of?

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jun 6, 2011 at 6:41:15 pm

Many thanks Andy for clearing that up - So one or the other or an effect if so desired.

"What is this "2 clips comped trick" you speak of?"

Duplicate a clip and place it above the original in the timeline, so the original is on V1 and the duplicate is on V2. Use the De-interlace filter on each clip - set one to de-interlace the odd fields, and set the other to de-interlace the even fields. Then under the Motion tab, set the V2 clip's opacity to 50 percent.

Might prove cumbersome on a long timeline when onlining...pays to shoot to the deliverables!

Cheers
Jon

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 6, 2011 at 8:43:05 pm

[jon smitherton] "Duplicate a clip and place it above the original in the timeline, so the original is on V1 and the duplicate is on V2. Use the De-interlace filter on each clip - set one to de-interlace the odd fields, and set the other to de-interlace the even fields. Then under the Motion tab, set the V2 clip's opacity to 50 percent. "
That was a homemade "fields blending" when De-interlace plugins had no "blend' option.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]