FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting ProRes 422 HQ to TIFF?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Makai
Exporting ProRes 422 HQ to TIFF?
on Jun 4, 2011 at 5:27:56 am

I have footage that originated on a Panasonic AF100 shooting 1080P. All footage was transcoded to ProRes 422 HQ. As my VFX guy requires a TIFF sequence, I am trying to figure out the best way to export the sequence to TIFF, while preserving the maximum quality. Hoping someone can help.

I have run into a weird problem in that certain blown out highlights in one scene, which look good enough when I play the sequence in FCP Studio 3, end up with smeared color banding on said highlights after exporting from FCP or after sending to Compressor for outputting. I have tried every sequence setting in FCP (render in RGB, 8-bit YUV, 10 bit, etc.) and the problem persists. The problem is not necessarily the TIFF conversion because even if I compress to a ProRes 422 HQ QT movie, I still see the color smear. The only ways to eliminate the color smear that I have so far found are to:

1. Compress the output into a h.264 QT movie (does not help since I need TIFF)

2. Change my FCP timeline settings from ProRes 422 HQ to TIFF and then export that from FCP itself without sending to Compressor

Option 2 would seem to solve the problem but I am worried that I might be getting some quality loss by not maintaining 422 HQ and using Compressor for the conversion.

So the questions are:

(a) What settings should I use in FCP and/or Compressor to simply transcode my ProRes 422 HQ timeline in FCP to a TIFF sequence in Compressor, while maintaining maximum quality and no artifacts?

(b) What setting might be contributing to the color smear problem that occurs whether I output to ProRes 422 HQ, TIFF, MPEG4, etc. but does not occur when I export to h.264?

Return to posts index

Adrian Makai
Re: Exporting ProRes 422 HQ to TIFF?
on Jun 4, 2011 at 5:34:29 am

I should clarify that the blown out highlights are only slightly blown out and that part of the scene looks fine to the naked eye when playing on the FCP timeline to a 40" monitor. The color banding that results after exporting is MAJOR - large green/yellow smearing all over the highlighted areas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved