FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage from 2 cameras...One needs rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Footage from 2 cameras...One needs rendering
on Jun 3, 2011 at 6:27:36 am

I recently wrapped editing on a fairly large project that was shot with a Panasonic HVX200 and a Canon XH-A1. Both cameras were set to shoot at 1080i/60.

I normally edit with a ProRes setting but for some reason when I dragged the Canon footage onto the timeline, I got RED render bars and no render bars for the HVX200 clips. So I changed to a different sequence setting which was HDV 1440x1080. Even that seemed to be odd because I noticed that it had changed to 1280x1080 at some point in my editing process. When I changed to another sequence setting the Panasonic HVX200 footage had no render bars but the Canon's footage had bright GREEN render bar.

I am just curious why I was getting a render bar period for all footage shot with the Canon. I can't remember which of the two was the first to be dragged to the timeline but if it was the Canon, FCP put up the message saying the clips don't match the sequence and asked if I wanted to change and I clicked yes.

I just figured that if both cameras were set up to shoot 1080i/60 and my sequence was set up to reflect those camera settings that I should not have been getting render bars at all. Even when I dropped a dissolve or transition on the timeline I was getting ORANGE render bars! The timeline was set to unlimited.

I just dealt with it while I was editing and now my project is done. I have a friend that is experiencing a similar issue and want to be able to give him some good advice and I want to know for myself if this happens to me again on another project. My friend's project has to do with using footage from a HVX200 and a HDSLR on the same timeline. He is running into the same situation where footage from one of his cameras needs to be rendered and he is trying to find a sequence setting that would work without having to render the footage.

Thanks

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Footage from 2 cameras...One needs rendering
on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:12:36 pm

You need to transcode the footage of one of the cameras to match the other... not just the frame size and rate, but also the same codec. DSLR Footage isn't supported in FCP directly. In you're friend's case, it needs to be transferred to DVCPROHD.... then it will be the same codec as the HVX records, and there shouldn't be unneeded renders.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Jun 4, 2011 at 2:24:19 pm

Thanks Jerry but just to be clear once he transcodes the HDSLR footage to DVCPRO HD, then both cameras will be matched up and all he would have to do now is select the right sequence settings for his timeline and when he drags a clip to the timeline from either camera he should not experience any need to render those clips correct?

Do you suggest that he use a DVCPRO HD sequence settings or can he use Apple ProRes 422? I did a recent shoot and it seems to me that some of the normal settings I use all the time didn't work like I wanted and I had to use HDV 1440x1080 but I was mixing a HVX200 with a Canon XH-A1 both shooting 1080i/60.

Thanks

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 4, 2011 at 5:13:19 pm

You could go to ProRes for both and have the same result. Graphics and stills would be 10 bit instead of 8...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]