FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV timeline ProRes render but HDV exports

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Pugh
HDV timeline ProRes render but HDV exports
on Jun 2, 2011 at 10:34:49 am

I wonder if anyone can help me understand this ...

I have an edit (47 minutes) mainly consisting of HDV footage, but with lots of stills (jpeg), so following the generally accepted practise I have edited in a HDV timeline (with HDV 1080i compressor) but selected ProRes as the render codec (under render control). Every clip is rendered as I'm using Colorista on every shot, plus other plugins.

However when I export (to make a file for the facility house to copy to HDCAM for delivery) using export - quicktime - current settings - I get a HDV file in about 10 to 15 minutes, not a ProRes file. When I export deliberately selecting the ProRes codec, I get a render time of about 5 hours.

So how can I export in ProRes, without going through a massive 5 hour re-render session? Particularly as the individual rendered clips are already in the ProRes codec in the render folder. I would much rather deliver a ProRes file than a HDV file to the facility house. Maybe I should have edited in a 1440 ProRes timeline?

On another possibly unrelated matter - I should also point out that since doing the grade and effects the project is now very slow to open - often taking 5 minutes plus - duplicating the timeline also takes forever - despite the fact that I only have 50 minutes of video footage in the project (although quite a few stills). Attempting to send to Motion also takes an age now - maybe 5 minutes - and sometimes just hangs the system, prompting another lengthy restart. No problems doing this in an empty FCP project, almost instant!

Thanks,

Best,

Ken.

FCP 7.0.3
8 core Mac
SATA 4 drive array

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: HDV timeline ProRes render but HDV exports
on Jun 2, 2011 at 1:48:48 pm

Capture the HDV AS ProRes, and all your problems will be diminished greatly.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:03:33 pm

Or edit the HDV footage in a ProRes sequence. Since you already have it captured. RENDERING as ProRes just helps speed up the rendering process. The files are still HDV, and the timeline is HDV, so the exported file will be HDV.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 2, 2011 at 3:42:20 pm

[Ken Pugh] "when I export (to make a file for the facility house to copy to HDCAM for delivery) using export - quicktime - current settings - I get a HDV file in about 10 to 15 minutes, not a ProRes file."

You've done something wrong somewhere. Rather than finding out what you did, just do the following nor to fix it.

1) Go to Sequence>>Settings and change the compressor thereto ProRes 422.

2) Re-render the sequence using Render All

3) Export>>Quicktime Movie with self contained checked.

This will create a ProRes file in the fastest possible way, period end of story. Why the heck didn't the initial way you attempted to accomplish the same thing work I can't say, but just move on and get your work done.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Jun 2, 2011 at 5:18:01 pm

I was doing an online reconform - tried to recapture through the AJA into prores via component out of the Z1, but the Z1 wasn't accurate enough with the Lanc/Addenda RS422 interface so I had to switch to firewire control - and this worked fine. So stuck with HDV. However as per advice switched the HDV timeline to ProRes, took an hour to render but yes now I can quickly export to ProRes no problem.

Perhaps the best solution might have been to convert the HDV to Prores in software before we did the grading etc. is this possible - using media manager - or would I need to send all the individual clips through compressor?

Thanks for the all the advice, much appreciated.

Cured my slow startup problem too - had to delete all the backup sequences I had made while we were doing the finishing - and now FCP loads fast again. Maybe one of the sequences were corrupt? I had a lot of motion round trips (for optical flow slo mo and stabilising effects - excellent) maybe one of these became weird. The startup just stalled at 43% and sat there for ages - 4 or 5 minutes, then carried on. All good now.

Thanks again,

Ken.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 2, 2011 at 5:20:13 pm

You can set HDV to be captured as ProRes through Firewire... as it comes in.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Jun 3, 2011 at 9:52:50 am

But can you do this under firewire timecode control? I tried, and couldn't get it to work... I needed the timecode as I was re-digitising an edit someone else had done in 'offline' mode using the dvcam codec, the client wanted a HD online. This was why I tried the RS422/addenda to pull the material in as prores via my Kona card. Of course if we had a RS422 deck instead of just the camera all would have worked out....

I could manually play the camera and record prores over firewire, and could do this via component out as well - but I needed t/c to autoconform the edit - and only HDV seemed possible.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:05:28 pm

When you tried to recapture via FW, what happened?

Jerry

Current DVD:

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Jun 4, 2011 at 10:00:34 am

I don't have the camera here right now to replicate what happened - but as I remember I set up the recapture via firewire and HDV using easy setup and all worked fine, but when I then went in to audio/video settings and changed the capture preset to HDV-Apple ProRes 422 I lost device control - and I had an error message - something about a conflict between device control and capture preset maybe?

I gave up at this point as I understood when you capture ProRes via HDV you loose timecode, so it seemed logical to me that recapturing video under timecode control would also not be possible to the ProRes codec over firewire. Should this be possible?

Cheers,

Ken.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]