FORUMS: list search recent posts

still photo problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J.E. McGraw-Austin
still photo problems
on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:26:50 am

Hello,
I am dealing with an issue regarding the still images in a timeline.

I hired an inexperienced friend to assist with editing a project, and apparently failed to support her properly. The project has a number of still/archival photos which she loaded onto my external hard drive, brought into the project and placed in a timeline. The unusual thing is, when one of these stills is played in the timeline, it flashes between a number of other stills, or doesn't show up at all.

I have tried moving the string-out to another timeline, which only temporarily fixed the problem. I have tried re-connecting the media, no fix. I found another temporary fix by clicking "Clip Enable" off and then back on again, but the problem seems to return once I've closed and re-opened the project.
The video in the project does not have this problem, only the still images.

The clips for the stills appear green in the timeline, the same color as the audio. The stills themselves are all approximately 1.5 MB in size, and are JPEGs.

Has anyone encountered this before?

I am editing on a MacBook Pro running on a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6.6, FCP 7, with a Lacie 2 TB external HD.

Thanks,

Lib

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: still photo problems
on Jun 2, 2011 at 4:19:32 am

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying things that are not in the timeline show in the canvas when you play the timeline?
Have you looked at the timeline zoomed in enough to see flash frames?
Don't have any real ideas, but it might help others to know some details.
What is your sequence settings?
Are you nesting?
How big are the stills?
Why jpgs? Pretty lossy format. PNG's work well in FCP, are not as big as tifs, and are almost lossless.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

J.E. McGraw-Austin
Re: still photo problems
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:26:01 am

Hi Scott,
thanks for your thoughts. My sequence setting is HD 1440x1080 16:9, pixel aspect ratio HD 1440x1080, Compressor HDV 10801 60. Much of the video footage was shot on XDCam. But it is the still images that are the problem.

I experimented with changing the jpegs to tiffs, and making the larger (20 MB) files smaller (5MB) via Photoshop. I saved the tiffs to a different folder on the same drive.
It seemed to work at first but the problem is has re-emerged. Then I moved the whole stills folder from an external hard to my internal hard drive. Again, a temporary fix and then back to the problem. This time it plays for a second or 2 and then goes to black.

This is a really bizarre problem. What could be going on?

Libby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]