FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage from Canon D300s and Canon 7D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Tolhurst
Footage from Canon D300s and Canon 7D
on Jun 1, 2011 at 9:49:17 pm

Hello All.

I will be shooting an informal wedding this weekend. I have a Nikon D300s and Canon 7D at my disposal. The plan is to use the Nikon on a tripod for the long static shot, and move around with the 7D.

I'll have the Nikon set to 720 shooting 24 FPS and the Canon at 1080 24 FPS and some shots at 30 FPS. My rationale for shooting 30 FPS is so I can convert specific clips to 24 frames for a slight slow motion effect. I realize I could simply shoot everything at 24 and change the clip speed, however I really like the natural dream like feel to the adjusted 30 FPS clips.

I am expecting to have to convert the Nikon clips to 30 FPS in MPEG Streamclip before importing the files into Final Cut Pro 7 so that the clips will match the timeline settings. I'll also convert the Nikon clips to ProRes, and have already installed a plugin that imports the Canon clips with no trouble in the log and transfer window.

That's where my plan ends. I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback as to what other problems I might expect in editing.

I'm certainly a Rookie and have pieced my admittedly patchy knowledge together from forums and experimentation. I've tried to keep this post as straightforward as possible, and I realize there are oodles of information I have left out. Thanks very much for your consideration and expertise. Take care,

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Footage from Canon D300s and Canon 7D
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:15:59 pm

[Joel Tolhurst] "I'll have the Nikon set to 720 shooting 24 FPS and the Canon at 1080 24 FPS and some shots at 30 FPS."

DO NOT MIX FRAME RATES!!! No no no no no. BAD! Why would you want to shoot a different frame rate? I mean, 60fps I understand...if your intention is purely to slow it down to the main frame rate (24fps) so you get smooth slow motion. But 24 and 30? I don't get it. Do not mix frame rates. FCP does horribly with mixed frame rates.

Convert all the footage to ProRes. Keep ONE frame rate. Frame size you can deal with...rate? Too messy. Stick with 24.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]