FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I make an AC3 file from Final Cut Pro from the seperate wav files the sound mixer gave me?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lamas
Can I make an AC3 file from Final Cut Pro from the seperate wav files the sound mixer gave me?
on May 31, 2011 at 6:03:53 pm

Howdy all!

I just finished my first digital feature. I apologize in advance for my ignorance of post audio. Here is my situation:

I had my sound mixer do a Dolby 5.1 surround sound mix for the film. He essentially handed me all the seperate wave files, clearly labeled for each speaker and told me he does not have the software to create the final AC3 file.

I did a little research and it seems as if people are saying that an AC3 file can be made from a Final Cut export into compressor.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to import the final dolby mix into my main FCP timeline? The files are all clearly labeled for each speaker.

2. Will FCP be able to discern the speaker-specific info?

3. Exporting the film (both picture and sound) DIRECTLY into compressor tends to cause my FCP to quit mid-way. Can I simply export the surround sound mix and then match it to the picture in DVDstudio?

Your sagely advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

:)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Can I make an AC3 file from Final Cut Pro from the seperate wav files the sound mixer gave me?
on May 31, 2011 at 11:15:48 pm

You don't need FCP for this. Open Compressor and you will find presets for Dolby Digital (ac3 2.0 and 5.1). Select the preset and add the wav files by clicking on the speaker for left center etc and selecting the appropriate wave file for each channel.

Personally I always set dialog norm levels to -31db and turn dynamics compression off. The default is film compression but frankly the audio post job is to control dynamics, not a $2 Dolby chip. The rest of the defaults should be OK. Once you have a setup you like, save as in custom and then you can select that in future.

Return to posts index

Adam Lamas
Re: Can I make an AC3 file from Final Cut Pro from the seperate wav files the sound mixer gave me?
on May 31, 2011 at 11:35:26 pm

Wow, Michael. I can't thank you enough for getting back to me! :)

I have another question for you:

My film is currently in 2 reels (essentially 2 different sequences 45 minutes each,laid together on one master timeline) each reel has a 2-pop at the beginning and (i believe) end of each reel as do all the wavs in the dolby mix.

What method would you recommend for syncing under these circumstances?

Would I be able to sync up the Dolby tracks to each reel in FCP and then export that into compressor, for the sake of ease-of-sync upon exporting to DVDstudio?

Or is there a way of syncing and editing an ac3 file to the picture in DVDstudio? That way I would just have to generate each reel as a seperate video file, conjoin them in dvd studio and conjoing the ac3 files?

Am I making sense?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:45:05 am

You can create a timeline in DVDSP from multiple files. It has a crude timeline and you can trim. So make your m2v files from the 2 pip which means in DVDSP they are the same file start as the audio and then trim the picture and sound file by 2 seconds at the head. The reel join can be done in DVDSP timeline as well.

So no need to put audio files into FCP unless you want one continuous file or you need to make other deliverables. In that case you will need to bring the wav files into FCP and patch the outputs of each track to a six channel sequence output

Return to posts index

Adam Lamas
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:58:29 am

Fantastic man! Thanks so much! :D

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 1, 2011 at 11:31:02 pm

[Adam Lamas] "Fantastic man! Thanks so much! :D"

Happy to help and now you know, be prepared and confident to pass on the knowledge to others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]