FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop scrolling credit issues in Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kirchman
Photoshop scrolling credit issues in Final Cut
on May 31, 2011 at 4:20:07 pm

Hi everyone!

I've had this problem with a scrolling credit sequence in photoshop that I have imported into final cut and keyframed. Once animated and rendered, well, it looks terrible. Terrible in fcp, exported, and even after a burn to DVD. Its the usual. Jagged text, thin pixelated lines, gaps running through text, and an overall decrease in quality. It looks great when I switched to No Field first, but original footage being DVCpro50, the rest of the sequence didn't respond well. My current codec is uncompressed 10 bit, as its my final sequence for export, but it doesn't help much. It looks the same in a DV50 codec.

As far as the photoshop side, I created my file as a 720x3000 file (3000 just for length, 720 is obvious) with a DV NTSC or DV NTSC wide pixel aspect ratio (I'm anamorphic in my sequence, so I tried both. No luck.) I saved as a PICT file, and brought it into photoshop. Used the normal keyframing techniques to scroll it, hit the render, and bad things everywhere.

I know I'm doing something wrong, because checking the file out in the viewer is fine. Even viewed at 100 percent, it looks great. Once moved over into the sequence and rendered is when the issue comes in. I'm sure its some sort of setting I missed, but I went over them multiple times and couldn't find anything.

Other FCP sequence settings:
720x480
NTSC 601/DV, anamorphic
Lower field first
Uncompressed 10 bit

I tried to include as many details as I could think of. If anyone needs any more information to help, I'll gladly clarify.

Thanks so much everyone!

My edit rig:

Mac Pro (2007 version)
Leopard 10.5.8
Quad Core Intel Xeon, 10GB ram
ATI Radeon X1900 Graphics Card

Return to posts index

Sean Kirchman
Re: Photoshop scrolling credit issues in Final Cut
on May 31, 2011 at 4:40:30 pm

On a second pass through, I noticed that I had a load of lines over the video when I exported. They almost looked like interlacing lines. I switched over to Field Dominance None, and it fixes both the interlacing lines and the scrolling credits issue.

Is there any negative to doing this?

My edit rig:

Mac Pro (2007 version)
Leopard 10.5.8

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 31, 2011 at 5:50:51 pm

View what you did on a real video monitor, not a computer screen to judge any compression or field related artifacts.

Normally, it's best to use the included Boris plugin or Motion to create a rolling title. Making a large file in photoshop will subject you to FCP's scaling, which is not great.

Return to posts index

Sean Kirchman
on May 31, 2011 at 6:12:12 pm

I've tried multiple monitors from the DVD output. Regular TVs, plasmas, that sort of thing. No luck. I also will need it for computer monitor viewing as well eventually, so I need it to look acceptable on all monitors. I'm still working on an export of the field dominance test to a TV, so I'll report in with that.

I'm using photoshop instead of boris because I have a few logos in there, and a lot of different elements and layouts for sections of the credits. Its a short film with a lot of names, companies, etc., so I didn't find boris or the built in scroll that useful. Motion is an interesting recommendation. I didn't use it because I barely know how to get around in it, but I might have to look up some tutorials and do a crash course as a last resort.

Thanks for the advice!

My edit rig:

Mac Pro (2007 version)
Leopard 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on May 31, 2011 at 6:31:22 pm

I'll give another strong recommendation for Motion. Design everything inside of a group, the apply the "Scroll Text" Behavior to your group. It's in the Text Animation category.

Return to posts index

Sean Kirchman
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:50:06 am

I finished my test with field dominance set to none. As I assumed, all text looked great but the video quality took a hit. So, I'm back to square one. I suppose I'll look into using motion, but I don't even know where to begin with that. To the interwebs!

My edit rig:

Mac Pro (2007 version)
Leopard 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:07:49 am

Open up the Project pane. It'll give you a Photoshop-like layer stack. Arrange your items (moving the group up as needed using the Position controls in the Inspector) and the apply the Behaviour to the Group.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]