FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp render out - dropping color information ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andi no
fcp render out - dropping color information ?
on May 31, 2011 at 5:23:55 am

HI, anyone got experience with xdcam hd 1080@29.97 ?
i've been dealing with some weird problem. I got short footages shot on panasonic af 100, record into a nano flash.

codec : xdcam hd422 1080i60
dur : 00:00:01:08 (this is short clip just for doing some tests)
filesize : 20.4 Mb
Data Rate (viewed by quicktime player) : 128.73 Mbits/s

i drop this clip into FCP then it will ask to match clip setting , i select 'yes'. Then mark in-out the whole clip, select export -> quicktime movie (NOT quicktime conversion). Done...
When i check the result, honestly i can't see the difference in color etc. But if i open this new clip with QT player, i got weird report (in the inspector), it says the data rate is now 56.06 Mbits/sec (half of the original) and filesize become 8.9 Mb. Is there any compression has been applied? am i lossing the quality ? is there anyway i can keep the data rate as high as the original ?

Anyone can explain it ?

Thanx

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: fcp render out - dropping color information ?
on May 31, 2011 at 8:07:15 am

[andi no] "i drop this clip into FCP then it will ask to match clip setting , i select 'yes'. Then mark in-out the whole clip, select export -> quicktime movie (NOT quicktime conversion). Done..."

Why are you doing this? You're exporting the entire original clip without converting it. So you''re just making a copy of the original? For what?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

andi no
Re: fcp render out - dropping color information ?
on May 31, 2011 at 3:24:17 pm

Hi , thanx for replying.
That's just an example , i took a short clip just to do some test, i wonder why that clip is getting lower data rate after i render out from FCP where i don't have any option / choice to keep the rate as hight as the original? is it normal ?

the actual case is not that simple, i just make some experiment. The real problem i want to remove pulldown 3:2 from 29.97 to 23.98, i tried it using compressor, yes... i got my 23.98 clip without problem , the only problem is when i checked in qt player, the data rate become half of the original, so something has been reduced maybe ? color information or what so ever , i haven't found out yet. This kind of fact , make me want to do some test from FCP , i just want to see if there'll be something similiar when i just do nothing but straight render out from fcp without any conversion, the result is surprising, it did reduce the data rate like compressor did. I don't have any idea ..... If someone can get it clear, i'll be happy :)

Btw, i've just done another test, i tried to do the same test using prores, and this time data rate is not reduced , so must be something about the 'xdcam'.

Thanx.
Andi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]