FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting H.264 to ProRes in FCP after logging...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hypatia Porter
Converting H.264 to ProRes in FCP after logging...
on May 31, 2011 at 3:40:13 am

Hello there! I see that this is a common issue and have read through many threads on the topic - so many though, that I've gotten confused. If someone could help me with my particular situation, I would really appreciate it.

I am working on FCP 6, and just spent 3 days logging footage originally shot on a Canon 7D (and 5D) and given to me on an external drive. I did not realize that I hadn't gone through the proper steps to import it (found some helpful tutorials for next time), and it is all in H.264. I want to convert my project without losing any of my logging information.

In my research, forum experts are saying to use Compressor - which I've never used before, and I'm on a deadline - so I'm frantically trying to learn how to do this as fast as humanly possible. On Memorial Day.

If anyone can help me out with some simple guidance, a link to a tutorial - or even just assurance that I am doing the right thing, that would be awesome.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting H.264 to ProRes in FCP after logging...
on May 31, 2011 at 4:14:27 am

Use the Media Manager inside FCP...use the RECOMPRESS option. That will retain all the information already applied to the clips.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hypatia Porter
on May 31, 2011 at 4:33:29 am

Thank you so much for your reply! I was just in the middle of reading your 'Stock Answers' tutorial when I got this message.

A Media Manager question, if you don't mind?

If I want the files that are in my project to magically be replaced with Pro Res files, would these be the settings I use?

Recompress (Apple ProRes)
Delete unused media: unchecked
Base media file names on: existing file names
Duplicate selected items and place in new project: unchecked
Media Destination: None

Thanks! -Hypatia

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 31, 2011 at 6:44:46 am

That seems right....those settings.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on May 31, 2011 at 6:04:11 am

Wow, Shane!

That's a cool trick - I didn't know that. Thanks.

I'm now going to put you in my will.

Best

Harry.

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
on May 31, 2011 at 9:52:13 am

Oh ha ha ha...sweet, I have been using FCP since v1, never thought of using Media Managers re-compress option. Brilliant, must RTFM sometime.

5 sec rant to follow...
But then up until recently I was using I frame video! native, real video, not this long GOP stuff I have been tricked into accepting. XDCAM/h264 et al ! When I first saw h264 at NAB years ago never thought it would ever end up as a edit codec. But then again, it hasn't really has it? we all end up re purposing it into something else, just like we did with raw video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]