FORUMS: list search recent posts

mts to mov convert then import issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ginski jermolajew
mts to mov convert then import issues
on May 30, 2011 at 4:36:29 pm

Hey there,
I've just acquired an HD handycam that records to mts file format. I've used MTS converter for Mac to convert the file from mts to mov. The mov plays fine when preview played or opened as a quicktime but when imported to FCP the video appears to play slower than 100% and indeed doesn't play the entire clip while audio plays at 100% thus making the entire clip out of sync.
Does anyone have any solutions? Do I need another converting program or do I use a different format other than mov? The converter gives options for most codecs, which would be the best to use? I tried mpeg-2 but it wouldn't transfer audio at all although video seemed fine.
I'm using FCP 7
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Ginski

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: mts to mov convert then import issues
on May 30, 2011 at 4:49:46 pm

ya, you want to make mov's for FCP editing.

Try mpeg streamclip too for conversions, it's free.

Your clip and your sequence settings must match.

Drop a clip into a blank, new sequence and let FCP change the settings to match for you.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 30, 2011 at 5:39:37 pm

Why don't you just say what camera you're talking about? What .mts converter are you talking about? Is this an AVCHD camera? Use the log and transfer function in FCP7 and transcode to ProRes or ProRes LT. Streamclip can't convert .mts files. MPEG-2 is a muxed delivery codec and should not be used in FCP.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

ginski jermolajew
on May 30, 2011 at 6:02:04 pm

jvc gz hd620b is the camera.
MTS converter is the converting program.
Log and capture doesn't recognise the camera (USB only).
Mpeg stream didn't seem to work at all.
It seems the issue may have been fps related. Converter defaulted to 30fps but it appears 25fps was required.
Interestingly iMovie imported, played and exported all files easily while fcp struggled. I actually exported the file from iMovie as a fcp pro res and that worked too. A round about way but seems to work

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 30, 2011 at 6:09:29 pm

From what I've read it seems this is a standard AVCHD camera with a big hard drive, which is a pain to work with, but you should be able to ingest directly in FCP using the log and transfer function. Have you read about using that in the manual?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]