FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed Format Workflow - SD & HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Mixed Format Workflow - SD & HD
on May 29, 2011 at 2:16:17 pm

Hi Everybody,

I am currently editing a Mocumentary, which consists of DV-PAL SD Footage 25p from a Panasonic DVX100B mixed with Footage from a small HD Consumer Camcoder (Files been given to me, transcoded into Apple ProRes HQ) and Foptage of the GoPro mini HD Cam (currently imprted as MP4s).
Now my Qs:

1. Into what should I convert my GoPro Footage to (is connected with Q 2:)

2. What is the best Timeline Format to edit my project in? Making a Timeline according to the SD 25p Footage of the DVX100B and downsizing the ProRes HD clips when I through them in, or is that a shame, when CC, better to use the HD footage in native size?

3. When converting the GoPro Footage into e.g. Apple ProRes, is Episode a good App to go and Batch them all through there?

Thanx a lot.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Mixed Format Workflow - SD & HD
on May 29, 2011 at 6:27:50 pm

[Sascha Engel] "1. Into what should I convert my GoPro Footage to (is connected with Q 2:)"

ProRes. YOu have been hanging out here long enough to know that by now Sasha... :)

[Sascha Engel] "2. What is the best Timeline Format to edit my project in?"

What does the MAJORITY of your footage consist of? What is your final deliverable going to be?

[Sascha Engel] "3. When converting the GoPro Footage into e.g. Apple ProRes, is Episode a good App to go and Batch them all through there?"

Compressor batches...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 29, 2011 at 7:27:33 pm

HI Shane,

yes, you are right, I thought already ProRes, but I never worked with GoPro footage before - and wanted to be sure.
The Material is for 60% SD DV-PAL Footage and 40% GoPro and ProRes Converted Footage from a Consumer HD Camera.
I know, that Compressor had a Batch Capture, but I just read a lot about Speed & Quality issues in Comparison to e.g. EPISODE - tried Episode on a friend's machine and I was blown away - the speed difference is mind blowing. EPISODE versus Compressor is like Ferrari versus VW Beatle!

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 29, 2011 at 7:28:39 pm

...ah and final output:

Projection on a big screen during a theatre show - most likely from a computer or DVD Player.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2011 at 8:03:40 pm

Well, unless you can upconvert the SD to HD via hardware I'd stick with SD. But not DV. Prores Pal or DV50

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 29, 2011 at 8:54:45 pm

Hi Shane, thanx a lot. DV ProRes it is.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 29, 2011 at 11:08:02 pm

Stick with a ProRes timeline, not DV50. That way all your material including the converted DV to ProRes footage should all be upper field. A Dv50 timeline will mean lower field sequence with upper field footage which is a total pain.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 30, 2011 at 3:23:51 am

I think, that wouldn't be a problem, since it's all 25p footage, no interlaced material at all.

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]