FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple exports of the same file as ProRes= Loss of quality?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Ovcinikov
Multiple exports of the same file as ProRes= Loss of quality?
on May 29, 2011 at 1:55:14 am

Hi, I was not sure under which category to post this question, because it relates to more than just Final Cut Pro. I am sorry I chose the wrong one.

I am working on a short film which includes a lot of shots that need to be worked on with After Effects. I realised that i will have to export the shots several times: from final cut to after effects to do effects, then from after effects back to FCP, then once the edit is complete i will export the whole sequence again and import it into after effects to do final color correction. The final Quick Time file will be exported from AF.

My question is: Even tough I export as ProRes 422 every time. Will these multiple exports diminish the quality of my clips?

Thank you.

George.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Multiple exports of the same file as ProRes= Loss of quality?
on May 29, 2011 at 6:37:58 am

If you are always in ProRes422 there won't be any inherent loss of quality by passing the shots through different software. You get a loss of quality if you transcode between different codecs. (It's possible that you might degrade some aspects of picture quality in doing some effects, but that's a different issue).

Return to posts index

George Ovcinikov
Re: Multiple exports of the same file as ProRes= Loss of quality?
on May 29, 2011 at 12:06:51 pm

Thank you for your answer.
Phew, now all my exporting worries are gone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]