FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Format to use???!!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Berry
What Format to use???!!!
on May 28, 2011 at 11:55:08 pm

Hello,

I post a TV show for and We are using FCP 7. The show is shot in HD but we have been having issues with the producers etc on what format to finally post this show on.

What is the best HD format!!

1080i, 720 60p, 720 30p etc...

Right now we are posting in HD but the show will be downcoverted to SD. We started at 1080i 60 with the Sony EX3 cameras but using camera crew in different parts of the country most crew either complain about using 1080i and prefer 720p 60p so we have settled on 720 60p

Is this the wisest choice??

Thanks in advance for any input you guys can supply.

-Rob

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: What Format to use???!!!
on May 29, 2011 at 12:21:17 am

[Rob Berry] "
Right now we are posting in HD but the show will be downcoverted to SD. We started at 1080i 60 with the Sony EX3 cameras but using camera crew in different parts of the country most crew either complain about using 1080i and prefer 720p 60p so we have settled on 720 60p "

Lose the complainers, they sound like a bunch of real prima donnas who can't take instructions from superiors.

720p 60 is okay for many broadcasters, but 1080i60 is the more common format for most broadcasters.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 29, 2011 at 12:29:48 am

Depends on the broadcasters. Fox and ABC are 720p while CBS and NBC are 1080i.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2011 at 1:21:07 am

You all need a post supervisor who knows what they are doing. Right now you all seem like you are stumbling in the dark, and for posting broadcast TV, that is never a good thing.

Find out what your deliverable is. That is the MAIN thing. Work towards the deliverable. Even if you will deliver SD, if you shot HD, work in HD and convert to SD when you are done.

Now, go hire someone who knows what is what. Getting advice on workflow from the forums is not the way to design a post workflow on your end. You need someone there, to guide it all the time.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on May 29, 2011 at 1:40:22 am

720p60 will downconvert to NTSC SD more cleanly than 1080i, but as others have said, find out what your deliverables will be and work backwards form there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]