FORUMS: list search recent posts

imported audio panned -1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Krall
imported audio panned -1
on May 28, 2011 at 4:14:29 pm

I recently shot a small concert at a local venue on my Sony EX1.
The sound guy made a multi-track recording of the show and, subsequently gave me individual stereo mix wav files of each song to drop on my timeline. When I did, I immediately noticed the lead guitar was almost no existent. When I double click the audio to see it in the viewer, the pan slider is all the way to the left (-1) on all the audio clips. Moving it to the right definitely brings the guitar up noticeably but, I'm wondering if I imported the audio incorrectly or if the sound guy gave me a 'wonky' mix. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place or if it's been covered ad nauseum as I couldn't find this addressed anywhere. Any help/tip is much appreciated. RK

Return to posts index

Lee Cilley
Re: imported audio panned -1
on May 28, 2011 at 10:14:03 pm

It often defaults to this in fcp-- not sure why.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 28, 2011 at 10:32:48 pm

Stereo tracks show as -1 in the viewer, which indicates that A1 is hard panned left. A2, if it showed (but it doesn't show in the viewer), would show as +1, which is hard panned right. When you move the -1 to 0, that center pans both stereo tracks, which sums them together at 2X the amplitude. It may sound better, because your stereo music was obviously recorded at a very low level, but panning is not the way to fix it - you should either raise the track volume the traditional way, by boosting it on the clip in the timeline or in the viewer, or by adding the "Gain" filter, which will give you much greater volume should you require it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on May 29, 2011 at 3:28:59 pm

Thank you, David, for the quick reply. I'm a picture guy more than a sound guy, obviously so, this makes sense on some levels but, I'm still uncertain about it. Is the 'panned hard left' situation for A1 normal and, if all was recorded correctly, it should remain as such (at -1) and NOT panned to 0? If I raise the track volume, as you suggest, it seems that would just raise all the instrument volumes together and still not address the faint guitar problem, relative to the others. Or, should the stereo mix from my sound man be re-mixed with the guitar volume boosted? Thanks again, R.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 29, 2011 at 4:06:27 pm

[Richard Krall] "should the stereo mix from my sound man be re-mixed with the guitar volume boosted? "

Very difficult to advise without knowing exactly what your sound man recorded, but if he recorded discrete tracks for the guitar then he should remix with a higher level for the guitar or supply you with an isolated guitar track.

[Richard Krall] "Is the 'panned hard left' situation for A1 normal and, if all was recorded correctly, it should remain as such (at -1) and NOT panned to 0?"

If it was recorded as a stereo track it should show as -1. Look at the various columns in the FCP browser to see if the audio clip is identified as stereo.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on May 30, 2011 at 1:49:39 am

Thanks David. It does show as stereo in the browser. (The waveforms look slightly different in the viewer, too.) Pretty much sounds to me like, I just need a new mix. I appreciate your help. RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]