FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best quality from FCP to FLash

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Oliver
Best quality from FCP to FLash
on May 27, 2011 at 1:48:47 pm

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what makes the most amount of sense.

I have a video series for a website that I have produced. It is nearly finished editing.

I color corrected everything in Color. It looks great. It was shot on a JVC hm700.

So the footage was shot at 1280x720 with the xdcamEX codec (35mb)

I color corrected in color, rendered everything 1280x720proresHQ.

I created most of the text in title 3d. It looks fine, very basic.

I know need to bust out some flash files.

Should I render my entire timeline to the animation codec to make the text look as clean and crisp as possible before using the flash encoder to create the flash files? They have told me that they want everything to be as clean as possible. Or is that overkill.

I have had issues with psd graphics getting choppy using pro-res in the past. Hard drive space is not an issue.

Or is this type of workflow sooo 2002?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Return to posts index

Richard Keating
Re: Best quality from FCP to FLash
on May 27, 2011 at 2:21:11 pm

If you have issues with your FLV encodes, they will most likely not be caused with pro-res. I find that most quality issues with FLV files are the result of improper frame sizes. Of course you can use any width and height in your Adobe Encoder settings, non-optimal dimensions can result in poor image quality (particularly with text). For the best image quality, the powers that be recommend you always use width and height dimensions that are multiples of 4 (good), 8 (better), or 16 (best).

This link has a table of optimal frame sizes:

Also: Why FLV? Does your client specifically require it? H264.mp4 gives you much better quality with small file size and is the current standard for web video.

Richard Keating
Editor, Co-Creator of ScreenLight
"Centralized Video Project Collaboration"

Return to posts index

Benjamin Oliver
on May 27, 2011 at 2:53:15 pm

I'm not having any issues with the flv encodes, I just want to know what workflow people use to get the highest quality video out of FCP before I encode them.

They want flv becaise that is what they built their website to use, so that is what it shall be!

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on May 27, 2011 at 3:26:20 pm

Export Quicktime movie with current settings = 1:1 quality movie from your FCP sequence.
You could change sequence to ProRes 422 HQ, but this will only improve your text and graphics.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved