FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Sample Rate Nightmare

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zeke meginsky
Audio Sample Rate Nightmare
on May 26, 2011 at 2:41:38 am

So I have all these mini-DV tapes that I have to capture into a project. Some of them are HDV/DV, but all were probably recorded in regular DV.

I'm having major issues capturing them. It usually shows up with an error message saying the audio sample rate is not the same and the audio sync might be off. Sometimes it's okay but most of the time the sound is a little off, forward or backward. I'm not the best at using my judgment and manually moving the sound.... !

To fix this, I've heard I need to change the capture settings to match the one on the tape. My question is, what is the best way to go about doing this if I don't know what kHz the tape was recorded on? How many different options are available that a DV tape could have been recorded with? Should I just try each one until I find the right one?

Or could this message not have anything to do with the sampling rate and something else could be the problem?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Audio Sample Rate Nightmare
on May 26, 2011 at 4:18:26 am

DV can be 32 or 48k

Usually, its 48k, and the FCP presets are set up for that, but its possible to record in 32k as well.

Most decks and cameras will indicate the audio sample rate of the tape somewhere. Tell us what model you are using.

If you need to capture in 32k, you can duplicate the DV capture preset and change the sample rate, so you can capture properly in 32k.

Return to posts index

zeke meginsky
on May 26, 2011 at 12:34:10 pm

I changed it to 32k once and didn't get that message, but then the sound was WAY off. Is there another possibility other than changing it to 32? Do I have to change the bit too?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 26, 2011 at 3:05:42 pm

Is the sound way off in the viewer or canvas?

If you put it in a 48k sequence, you will have problems, however you can deal with it by rendering the audio or by re-exporting the clip as 48k.

If its off in the viewer I am not sure what the problem is. how are you monitoring?

Return to posts index

zeke meginsky
on May 26, 2011 at 3:41:27 pm

It's off in the viewer. Really don't know what to do, this is such a pain. I just want to get the audio like it is on the tape! Why is this so hard..

So I guess my only options are capturing it in 48 or 32 or all the other options. Then if none of them work, adjusting the audio manually which is inaccurate. Why can't the computer just tell what the audio sample rate is! That must be something that can't easily be read if Final Cut Pro doesn't do it automatically..

Return to posts index

zeke meginsky
on May 26, 2011 at 12:42:36 pm

I can tell you what deck later tonight. It doesn't have much display though, so I don't think it says the audio sample rate.

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on May 27, 2011 at 1:01:12 pm

Hi,

As stated above, you can have DV 48kHz (=2 channels, 16 bit) and 32 kHz (=4 channels, 14 bit). So the latter has less quality. Reading the posts above, it seems you have 32 kHz. You have already made a new capture setup. Have you also changed the settings of the timeline? Else you have to render (FCP can do it on the fly/without render, but I have heard many stories of the audio drifting out of sync).

Try to make a new timeline with 32 kHz. Does that help?

Be warned, I also heard many stories of audio drifting out of sync with DV 32kHz If you have long takes even with all setups correct. And also with other NLE's (not sure, never used 32kHz), but it seems to be a DV codec issue. (Basically, never use 32 kHz, but that's to late.)

Return to posts index

Robie Flores
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:13:11 pm

I am having a similar problem, hopefully someone can help. I am trying to capture video from a mini DV to FCP using a DV Cam deck. I think that the original footage was taped in 12-bit. Every time I try to capture, the DV Cam dec goes crazy and attempts to FFWD, and Pause while it is on Play in capture mode. It also does not allow me to capture anything because the sound is completely choppy and off. I have checked the mini DV in a DV player and it sounds and looks perfect.

I have already tried changing my capture presets to 32kHz instead of 48kHz, but it did not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]