FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merged Clip losing audio sources when using match frame

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Kahn
Merged Clip losing audio sources when using match frame
on May 24, 2011 at 9:06:55 pm

I have a client who is working with RED media in which the camera records two tracks of audio and then the assistant will sync the ProRes file to the externally recorded audio.

Everything was is in sync but when the editor tries to match a frame into the viewer, "F-key", some clips come up showing 6 audio tracks when there should be 8. It seems like it is only matching to the broadcast wave and losing the camera audio. This wouldn't be a big problem except the editor was instructed to disregard tracks 1-2 as they are the camera audio, but sometimes it's not because of this problem.

We have tried trashing preferences and creating new projects and sequences. This has not solved the issue. The editor is getting very frustrated and frankly I'm stumped on this one.

Anyone see this and/or fixed it?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Merged Clip losing audio sources when using match frame
on May 25, 2011 at 2:49:48 am

How exactly did you merge clips? If you did it in the timeline, this is probably causing the issue.

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on May 25, 2011 at 4:45:59 am

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1127060

Please refer to the above thread. I think you have similar problem.

Pradip Patil
Mumbai,India

Return to posts index

Mikaela Shwer
on May 25, 2011 at 1:46:31 pm

We merged the clips in the browser. We sorted the video and audio tracks by media start..found a correct in point and merged clips. The issue is very inconsistent. In the project we created them in, the stringout of clips matches back to all source (2 camera audio tracks and say six external channels). If I then copy this sequence, even with all clips into another project, and match frame again, it shows me only 2 channels when I match frame and still other times, it shows 6 channels - only external audio. We have trashed prefs, checked auto select, played around with new projects, sequences, clip bins in and out of project, nothing is yielding a consistent answer....

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on May 25, 2011 at 6:35:36 pm

FWIW, I don't like to use the "merge clips" command in the browser. I've always used the technique Pradip links too (syncing in the timeline, then dragging clips into bins). On the short film I'm editing at the moment, this techniques has been working well, and match framing seems to also work consistently (although I prefer to delete the reference camera audio altogether).

Maybe something is breaking when you move clips between projects? Have you tried syncing in a timeline, then giving the timeline to the editor and dragging the clips into a main project bin from there?

Another thing to check: make sure when you move your clips into the editor's project they are designated as "master clips" (viewable in the browser as a column item).

hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 25, 2011 at 6:37:50 pm

[Matt Lyon] "hen dragging clips into bins"

This is the crucial step, as it makes "master clips" most of the time.

When moving between projects, you are physically copying and pasting or dragging and dropping?

Should copy/paste, not drag and drop.

Return to posts index

Robin August
on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:15:17 pm

Hello, I wanted to jump in here since I am having a similar problem.

My process has been slipping sync (4 tracks of audio) in the timeline, re-linking then creating new clips by dragging into a new bin and marking as master clips.

Match frame on my editor's station takes me to an out of sync version of the newly created master clip.

Is it because I have dragged the bins into a new project rather than copy and paste? Why does this make a difference?

Any light you can shed is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 25, 2011 at 1:03:03 pm

Explain the steps you took to merge the clips

Return to posts index

Mikaela Shwer
on May 25, 2011 at 2:52:33 pm

See above, please let me know if you have any ideas or if there is any step that we could have done incorrectly...

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on May 25, 2011 at 6:12:37 pm

Mikaela is the editor having the issue, I sent the first post for her.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 26, 2011 at 3:43:14 pm

Seems like you took the right steps.

I've not encountered this problem and can't seem to recreate it.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jun 20, 2011 at 11:13:17 pm

Sounds like this issue was never resolved?

For both the posters, I had a couple thoughts (but no solutions, necessarily -- like John, I cannot reproduce the problem):

-First off, it's probably a better habit to copy/paste the merged clips into the editor's main project FIRST. Then, make your stringout sequences WITHIN the editor's project. I don't know if not doing this could cause the problem, but it's worth exploring. Also, this will guarantee that you can "apple-shift-f" to "reveal clip in bin" (a very hand shortcut, imho).

- Also, is it possible that there exists other copies of the same video clips (albeit "unmerged") in the editor's project, before you imported the merged clips. This could be a potential reason that FCP gets confused.

-Which machine are you doing the clip exchange on? Might be worth opening the editor's project on the assistants station and trying the "copy/paste" there ... rather then on the editor's machine (or visa-versa).

-An even longer shot: is the camera original audio and the external audio different frame rates or sampling rate. I wonder if FCP doesn't like merging clips with different specs (seems far-fetched though).

-Are the clips being merged of different lengths? I wonder if this could cause issues if you try to match frame a section which is only covered by some of the audio tracks?

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:01:18 am

[Matt Lyon] "you can "apple-shift-f" to "reveal clip in bin" (a very hand shortcut, imho)."

And by that, I meant "shift-f" to "reveal master clip"

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]