FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best text for video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Bracken
Best text for video
on May 24, 2011 at 9:04:47 pm

What do you do so the text on video shows up the best, is legable, without jagged edges.

Do you put a box behind the text, do you use the thickest font you have?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Best text for video
on May 24, 2011 at 9:09:47 pm

I keep away from seriffed fonts unless they are very large. I usually add an edge a couple of pixels wide, in black or a dark color, then a separate drop or cast shadow, to make it pop off the background. I make sure the text color is complementary, that is to say, across the color wheel from whatever the background color is. A handy way to check for best color and contrast is to switch your monitor to B&W or monochrome, and if the letter still pops well, then likely people who are color-blind will still be able to read it, and normal eyes will find it very easy and dimensional.

Art and craft stores sell color wheels, These are handy to have nearby. Also you can find free ones online. Many of those are made for web masters as guides to pick harmonious colors for web designs. Or you could use THIS:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.aspx?sid=578

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 25, 2011 at 6:41:15 am

A vital ingredient in keeping text from being jaggy is to avoid DV codec. Use a final sequence that is either uncompressed or ProRes for SD and ProRes 422 for HD.

Generally HD codecs don't slaughter text like DV does.

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on May 25, 2011 at 12:41:56 pm

Great thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]