FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ripping info from an SD DVD that was recorded on HD camera, aspect ratios wacky

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jenny calhoun
Ripping info from an SD DVD that was recorded on HD camera, aspect ratios wacky
on May 24, 2011 at 8:14:31 pm

I've been asked to rip footage from a DVD, and edit it.
One major problem is that this DVD is in standard def, with high def footage on it, so the image is 4x3, but completely smushed, and has black bars on the side.

I was able to get the footage imported into Final Cut Pro 7, I've stretched the entire the image to 1280 x 720, and it looks perfect, but I've still got black bars on the sides. How do I keep this new aspect ratio and ditch the black bars?

frame size 1280 x 720
anamorphic no

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Ripping info from an SD DVD that was recorded on HD camera, aspect ratios wacky
on May 24, 2011 at 8:47:52 pm

You don't make something clear: is this an authored DVD or a data DVD with an HD file on it?

If it's an authored DVD, it is STANDARD DEFINITION. It doesn't matter if the video was shot on an HD camera, it's SD video. And you won't do the footage any favors by editing in HD.

If you must edit in HD, highlight the footage in the Browser, find the Anamorphic column, and click to check mark it as anamorphic.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jenny calhoun
Re: Ripping info from an SD DVD that was recorded on HD camera, aspect ratios wacky
on May 25, 2011 at 1:01:37 am

yeah its a SD DVD, but the footage is all squished together on the dvd footage

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 24, 2011 at 8:48:38 pm

The DVD is 720x480 SD
U'd be best to rip it to a DV 50 file.
Edit it in a DV50 Sequence. Letter boxed.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 25, 2011 at 2:10:53 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "Edit it in a DV50 Sequence. Letter boxed."

The letter boxing shouldn't be necessary if it's a 16x9 edit timeline. Turning the ripped footage into anamorphic as mentioned before IS necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]