FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media managing project based on nested sequences

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kinga Brooks
Media managing project based on nested sequences
on May 24, 2011 at 5:02:18 pm

I edited a project based on nested sequences. I am trying now to media manage the project for color correction but I am unable to do it. The media managed project has the same size as the original media and is crashing Color.
Specs: Final Cut Pro version 7.0.3, Mac OSx 10.5.8
Thank you in advance for advice.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Media managing project based on nested sequences
on May 24, 2011 at 5:21:10 pm

BAD idea. Nesting should be used RARELY, and only for certain tasks, like putting filters over everything. It is HORRIBLE if you need to media manage, or send to Color. Bad bad bad. NEVER use it, unless you are doing the final color or online. If you are sending to Color...get rid of the nests. Color doesn't do nests. Media manager hates them to.

Time to un-nest everything.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kinga Brooks
on May 24, 2011 at 5:50:25 pm

Thank you. Now I know it is bad and should avoid it . Now the question is how to un-nest?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 24, 2011 at 5:50:14 pm

Double click the nest to open it. COPY all the cuts, then paste them into the main sequence...replacing the nest.

DUPLICATE the sequence before you do this. So if you mess up, you can always have a backup.

Shane

Return to posts index

Kinga Brooks
on May 24, 2011 at 5:54:33 pm

The project was edited based on three nested sequences (multicam footage). So the nest itself is edited. I guess it's a bummer .... Is there any way to safe myself from re-editing the whole thing?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 24, 2011 at 6:00:01 pm

I didn't say you have to re-edit the whole thing. Open the nest by double clicking on it. Select All - COMMAND-A on the keyboard. Then go into a DUPLICATE sequence, delete the nest, and hit PASTE (edit menu, or CMD-V) to place all the original clips where the nest...oh...was

Wait. You have nests...and you EDITED THE NESTS!?!? They are all chopped up? Oh dear. Oh my my my. Well...that was bad. VERY bad. Now you cannot media manage the cut, nor send it to Color. And you can't access the individual clips to color correct them individually with the 3-way or Colorista.

Your best solution is to export a full resolution final quicktime file. Bring that back into a new sequence (new project)...then chop it up manually at every cut point. Send the project file and exported QT to the colorist.

Yes, this will be a lot of work...a lot of manual labor.

Next time...do not work with nests if you intend to color correct. The way you edited was wrong in about every way possible.

Shane

Return to posts index

Kinga Brooks
on May 24, 2011 at 6:07:50 pm

Thank you. That's really a bad news (2 episodes each 1 hour long with a lot of edits :((( ). At least I know what to do next time.

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
on May 24, 2011 at 7:25:03 pm

to save yourself at least a small amount of time and effort (going with Shane's advice), you could place markers on each edit point. Then, when you export your qt file, include said markers.

When you bring your file back in to FCP, you'll at least know where all your edits are....saving yourself from the super lame task of scrubbing 2 hrs of footage.

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
on May 24, 2011 at 7:32:46 pm

wouldn't it also be possible to color correct each nested sequence individually?

Duplicate your sequence as a backup, then send it to Color. After you round trip back in to FCP, just replace the clips in the sequence that's nested with your color-corrected files. Then, your main edit of the 3 nested sequences would reflect the color corrections.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 24, 2011 at 7:29:57 pm

The only issue with Markers is that each nest will have cuts too...cuts within the nest. So you need to watch anyway.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]