FORUMS: list search recent posts

multiclip requires rendering even though sources don't (?)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Marshall
multiclip requires rendering even though sources don't (?)
on May 24, 2011 at 8:34:07 am

I'm trying out multiclip editing for the first time. My four source clips are 1080p ProRes 422 (HQ). Each clip placed into the timeline on its own plays fine and doesn't require any rendering. But when I combine them into a multiclip and put that in the timeline it needs a (really long) render to play. Is this normal? I'm guessing the system just can't keep up with four HD streams, but had hoped for more.

I tried doing a little multiclip editing manually with four tracks and it doesn't require rendering but the machine also has trouble keeping up and stutters here and there.

I should add my source is on a 7200rpm SATA drive connected over FW800, and I'm on an i5 MBP.

thx!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: multiclip requires rendering even though sources don't (?)
on May 24, 2011 at 11:50:53 am

I'd suggest a faster media drive setup might help. Getting 4 streams of ProRes HQ to play from a FW 800 drive is asking a bit much I'd think. Might try down rezzing the files for edit, then reconnect to the HQ files after the edit. ProRes Proxy would be the way to go with a single FW 800 drive.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: multiclip requires rendering even though sources don't (?)
on May 24, 2011 at 2:28:06 pm

Reduce the playback quality in the timeline and your render bar will likely turn from red to green, which will allow playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]