FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconverting HD to match an SD sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Samuel
Downconverting HD to match an SD sequence
on May 23, 2011 at 9:49:30 pm

Hi - I've checked out a couple of posts on this already but still a bit confused how to handle this particular situation. Basically, I'm sending a finished short to the colorist next week and she requested that all the clips in the timeline be the same codec and aspect ratio.

The settings for the project and most of the footage are DV/DVCPRO NTSC 720 x 480 29.97 fps. I need to downconvert two HD clips to cut into the sequence but am not sure how to make it match the above specs without it distorting or having a different codec? The specs for the HD footage is 960 x 720 23.98 fps. Can someone share with me the appropriate export settings in MPEG Streamclip or Compressor?

Thanks so much.

Jennifer

Return to posts index

Richard Keating
Re: Downconverting HD to match an SD sequence
on May 24, 2011 at 3:16:53 am

Jennifer,

You didn't mention if your main footage is 4x3 or 16:9. Either way, there are presets ready-made in Compressor.

Select:
Other Workflows > Standard Definition > DV NTSC
(or DV NTSC Anamorophic if that's what the rest of your clips are).

If you have 4x3 footage, then you need to set up the proper cropping settings in the inspector:

Source Inset (Cropping) > Crop to: 4x3 1.33:1 (drop down to preset).

Good luck,

Richard Keating
Editor, Co-Creator of ScreenLight
"Centralized Video Project Collaboration"
http://www.screenlight.tv
Blog: blog.screenlight.tv

Return to posts index

Jennifer Samuel
Re: Downconverting HD to match an SD sequence
on May 25, 2011 at 10:15:25 pm

Hi Richard,
Thanks for that. It worked really easily so far. The rest of my SD footage is anamorphic and it looks like it matches. Still have to recut all the downconverted HD footage in but hopefully there won't be any weird lags due to the frame rate conversion. Anyhow, thanks again!
Jen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]