FORUMS: list search recent posts

delayed opening/reading project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kai Mariah
delayed opening/reading project
on May 23, 2011 at 6:19:31 pm

Hi.
I've been working on a film file (approx 93 minutes in length). I notice that whenever I open the file it seems to stall at 43% (usually several minutes) but eventually it continues and opens the project.

I've also noticed this seems to be a problem when I try to compress the file so I can burn it to DVD.

The file has been rendered and I don't really see anything unusual in that area. Any thoughts as to how to make it move past this spot?

Thanks.
kai

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: delayed opening/reading project
on May 23, 2011 at 10:00:44 pm

There's not much solid information to make a diagnosis in your post. If I had to guess, I'd guess it's because you edited h.264 or mp4 footage without converting to to prores first. Neither of those codec is a proper editing codec for FCP.

When you're using such footage, it usually chokes the edit at the worst time: near the end.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 23, 2011 at 11:27:15 pm

Are there any Motion projects in your timeline, perchance?

Return to posts index

Kai Mariah
on May 24, 2011 at 2:01:32 am

There's 1 motion project in there in the very beginning of the film (like scene 4). When I open the project it blows past that.

The other thing I'm doing is applying a cartoon filter using the subtle setting on the still photos in the timeline.

The film is an animation that was created in DAZ Studio. In DAZ Studio I export .mov files which are brought into FCP.

Thanks.
Kai

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 24, 2011 at 2:53:58 pm

[Kai Mariah] "In DAZ Studio I export .mov files which are brought into FCP."

That's like saying, "I put something in a can and sealed it up."

Okay, what's in the can? Soda? V8 Juice? Gravy? Ham?

A quicktime movie is a media CONTAINER. Within that container, you can have media encoded using many different schemes. They're called CODECS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

Most codecs are bad for FCP editing, but some some are great. Until you can identify the codec you're using, you don't know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]