FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fake 4:3 to 16:9 plugin or process

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignatius Gorin
Fake 4:3 to 16:9 plugin or process
on May 23, 2011 at 4:17:12 pm

Hi --

I've got several 4:3 clips I need to incorporate within more 16:9 clips.

In news report, I often see low quality 4:3 amateur footage (e.g., shot from a phone) with left and right edges that are zoomed and blurred replication of the actual clip edges, so that it fits a 16:9 screen. Of course I can't get a hand on one example right now...

Does that tell something to anyone?

Is there an FCP plugin for this, or a simple workflow?

TIA.

— Ig.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Fake 4:3 to 16:9 plugin or process
on May 23, 2011 at 4:53:09 pm

Simple!!! Duplicate your SD video layer so you have an identical copy on V1 and V2. Double click the clip on V1 to load it into the viewer, and scale it up in the motion tab until fill the HD frame. Now, add a blur filter of you choice and defocus the layer. You can also add a color correction filter and/or change the opacity in teh motion tab. Bingo, that's your background... Now, scale V2 to whatever size floats your boat and you're done.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on May 23, 2011 at 5:00:00 pm

Many thanks DAVID.

Are you familiar with the (TV) effect I'm referring to? What you describe sounds like how it's being done.

Last... any plugin for this, as I'm going to have to go through a couple of dozens of clips with this.

Thank you again anyway.

— Ig.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 23, 2011 at 5:09:30 pm

That effect was used for ages in sports when only some of the cameras they used were HD. And yes, the way I told you how to do it is the way it's done. That;'s kind of what I do around here...

I'm not aware of a plugin that does it. It's very easy and doesn't really require a plugin.

Once you setup the first one you can copy attributes from the background (V1) and foreground clips (V2) to the new clips. You needed to get used to doing that for many, many things in FCP. It's a very fast way to duplicate effects. Check out the Copy Attributes/Delete Attributes functions in the FCP manual to see all the various things they can do.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on May 23, 2011 at 5:21:31 pm

Thanks DAVID, you're right, I think I'll just go with paste attributes I guess.

Thanks ALAN, I may ba able to use the plugin you mentioned on a couple of clips.

— Ig.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on May 23, 2011 at 4:58:20 pm

Here's a great plugin for you:

http://web.me.com/andymees/Free_and_Easy/main/Entries/2008/3/3_Andy’s_Ela...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]