FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting feature with filters: how long should it take?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Cummings
Exporting feature with filters: how long should it take?
on May 22, 2011 at 1:51:41 am

Greetings all! I am working on FCP 6.0.6 on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Book Pro with MacOSX 10.6.7.

I have a 90 minute feature film with 5-6 dual mono AIFF tracks of audio and my video clips for the most part all have at least one ColorCorrecting filter, if not 2 and also we have been employing Neat Video Pro Noise Reduction Plug-In on the majority of clips as well. We shot in 1080 with the HVX200.

My question is, I went to export it as a quicktime file (I was thinking it'd be around 70 or 80 gigs) and the meter estimate kept rising well up beyond 30 hours. Does this sound right? Our intention is to bring the .mov to a facilitly my friend works at where they encode media and he's gonna make a Blu-Ray for us for exhibition purposes. Is this the best way to go about this? Will using compressor speed this up or what? Compressor seems to be screwy sometimes with this project file sometimes and I've had errors and corrupted files when using it. Also my version of compressor doesn't have any Blu-Ray settings so using it would compress it way more than we'd need to to fit it on a BD50. Thoughts?

Basically I'm running out of time as we have a screening on Wed. that I need to get a .mov to this guy by Monday morning to give him time to do his job but can't export till tomorrow evening after I get final music from our composer. Will I have enough time or do these things just take that long? I'm used to it taking 5-8 hours for this big of a project but does adding that Noise Reduction filter really up the processing time by 4-6 fold?

Please could someone help and dole some advice my way as I am really in a pinch.

Thanks in advance as I know the people on this board are usually pretty forthright and helpful.

Sincerely,
Ryan Charles
http://www.NittyGrittyStudios.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Exporting feature with filters: how long should it take?
on May 22, 2011 at 3:59:37 am

You have to render the entire timeline at "full." Then, use Export>>Quiicktime Movie to make a self contained file using current settings. Do not check the render all frames checkbox. That should only take a couple of hours.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ryan Cummings
on May 22, 2011 at 9:20:39 am

So I select the whole sequence in the timeline and clicked render all but it only took like 2 minutes to do the whole video. I'm assuming that is not the "render in full" you spake of. Is there something else I need to do to render the noise reduction filter before I export as a quicktime? Thanks so much for the help.

Ryan

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 22, 2011 at 3:46:00 pm

First, you go to the render all menu and make sure that full is checked. Then, you click in an empty gray area to make sure nothing is selected, then hit option-I and option-O to remove in and out points, then you do a render all.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on May 22, 2011 at 7:57:11 am

If it reckons 30 hours then I'd assume that either you haven't rendered your effects, which you should, or you're changing to different settings (size, codec) which you shouldn't.

If your picture cut is complete and you're just waiting for music, why not export the vision as a series of same settings quicktimes a few minutes long each, make a copy of your final sequence and replace the vision with those exports, then when you marry up the music and make your big export it'll be quicker.

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on May 22, 2011 at 9:13:12 pm

Neat video filter requires an inordinate amount of time to render. It does an amazing job but takes forever. I cut a 90 min movie in which I used that filter and just a 2 minute segment took 20 mins to render, and this on a 8 core machine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]