FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to consolidate a sequence - why won't FCP delete unused media?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Trying to consolidate a sequence - why won't FCP delete unused media?
on May 19, 2011 at 6:28:37 pm

I'm trying to archive a bunch of old projects by consolidating their sequences and deleting all the unused media to save on storage space. For some reason, though, FCP 7 isn't actually letting me delete the unused media, even though I've got "Delete unused media from selected sequence" switched on in Media Manager.

Typical example - I'm working in DV and I captured a total of 2.8 GB of rushes. The final edited sequence is 1'30" long. That's about 326 MB of DV. I select the sequence in the Browser, right-click and choose Media Manager, and then no matter what options I select, the Original and Modified project sizes are 2.8 GB.

With the "Delete unused media..." option checked, I'm expecting the Modified project size to read <400 MB because it will only copy the media actually used in the sequence, plus handles and music tracks etc. What's the problem? Am I misinterpreting how consolidation works?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trying to consolidate a sequence - why won't FCP delete unused media?
on May 19, 2011 at 6:53:52 pm

Does all the footage have a REEL number?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on May 19, 2011 at 6:53:31 pm

Yep, everything has a reel number. But would it really make a difference to the consolidation process if it didn't, given that I'm trying to copy the used media to a new project and delete all the unused stuff? I could understand lack of reel numbers being an issue if you're planning to delete all the media with the intention of recapturing at a future date if necessary.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2011 at 6:59:54 pm

Well, FCP's media manager doesn't do well with media when it lacks a REEL number. It is just one of the required things FCP needs. Name, timecode, reel number.

Try trashing prefs and consolidate again?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

joao paulo
on May 25, 2011 at 8:51:47 pm

Same here. Checked reel name, trashed preferences, restarted resetting RAM, created a new project, duplicated the original media and tried to consolidated through the new files: none of these worked.

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

joao paulo
on May 25, 2011 at 11:17:28 pm

Is the presence of .wav files somehow an issue?

Return to posts index

Chris Mallett
on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:57:35 am

Select the sequence, in the modify menu select 'Make Sequence Clips Independent' then try media manager. This worked for me. (FCP v7.3)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]