FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very confused about what to set my FCPro project to with 720p/25pn

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefanie Mackay
Very confused about what to set my FCPro project to with 720p/25pn
on May 19, 2011 at 9:35:41 am

OK- I am daunted by the amazing array of choices of settings for a project.

I have footage shot 720p/25pn on a Panasonic HVX201 using DVCPRO50, and have NO idea what of the many, MANY Final Cut Pro settings I should opt for.

Am I right in guessing that I could opt for the DVCPRO50 setting on Final Cut? Or is there more to this?

Just that I am struggling to understand what I do and why and tend to end up with having to render every time I move a clip which is "alien" to the project.

Please and many thank yous if you can enlighten this ignoramus. :)

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Very confused about what to set my FCPro project to with 720p/25pn
on May 19, 2011 at 11:38:36 am

I think you're confused:

720p25 is a HD format.

DVCPRO50 is a SD format.

Are you shooting to P2 Card with the 200? If you are shooting to tape it's SD.

Please seek out the "Tapeless Workflow" tutorial here on the cow by Shane Ross.

IF you are shooting to cards.
Once your files are on the hard drive, bring in your media by way of Log & Transfer. Once file are in you can see the codec and size of your clips in the browser.

Drag a clip into a NEW & emty sequence. FCP will prompt you to auto change the settings to match your clip.
Easy.

The other way is to choose a easy setup.

Yes, FCP can seem a bit much when you first start to use it, but hang in there, it get easy.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Stefanie Mackay
on May 19, 2011 at 11:51:44 am

Yes, as it states in the title, I am "very confused".

But I am not confused about the info- I am merely reading what it says on the camera's settings. Perhaps read too much, of course. Sorry for neglecting to state that I was using P2. I know that 720 is HD.

I would like to know how to set up the project to reflect the raw data on the P2, given the camera's settings as above (whichever part is relevant to the exercise). This is because I KNOW how to log and transfer and I do understand about the sequence adapting to the clip.

Basically, given my limited knowledge, I would like to know what to answer when asked how I'd like to set up the new project. ;)

"may you always do for others and let others do for you" ~Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 19, 2011 at 11:59:01 am

Setting up a new project...

I don't understand the question.

File, New proj. Done.

Do you mean media allocation, scratch drives? Playback on an ext. monitor? Auto save location?

You're shooting HD to P2 Cards.
You back up card media.
You L&T to DVCPROHD into FCP.

Sounds like you're all set...

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Stefanie Mackay
on May 19, 2011 at 12:12:45 pm

When I set up a new project I am asked about the sequence preset among other things (yes, scratch disk et al is OK- I understand that. :))

I really would just like to know what I ought to answer to that.

Because unless I do I will never learn the whys and wherefores. Meaning I cannot improve my skills and speed up the process: I have to edit a heck of a lot of different delivery formats and it is a case of the blind (my fellow students giving me the footage) being led by the very blind (me) until I get to grips with it.

"You L&T to DVCPROHD into FCP" is what I was looking for, thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 19, 2011 at 12:19:00 pm

Ah, yes, when you setup a NEW proj. Choose an Easy setup. Now you'll need to delete the first seq. that is auto there when you launch an unsaved proj.

So Easy setup.
Delete the seq. there and create a new seq. That will be set to the setup you have DVCPROHD 720/25 for example.

But, as I said before, Bring in clips, drop a clip into a new emty sequence and fcp will change the seq. settings to match your footage.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Stefanie Mackay
on May 19, 2011 at 12:29:08 pm

With all due respect- I am wanting to learn about how to do this right from the outset. "Easy Set-up" sounds like it would do my thinking for me and I do not wish to set up a new project with one setting and have the clips force the project's sequence to conform to another setting. Knowing how to avoid that being the case kind of was my reason for posting. ;)

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 19, 2011 at 12:35:46 pm

People always get into trouble when they start futzing with all the settings on their own. The Easy Setups exist for a reason and should be used whenever possible. There are many, many settings, and it's very easy to make a mistake if you have to change them all manually each time, regardless of your experience level. The Easy Setups also are a good indicator of what will work in real time in FCP.

Return to posts index

Stefanie Mackay
on May 19, 2011 at 12:50:34 pm

Thank you. :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2011 at 1:42:34 pm

[Stefanie Mackay] ""Easy Set-up" sounds like it would do my thinking for me"

Exactly...and that is what we ALL do. Even us pros that have been using FCP for years. Don't be fooled by the name...it isn't some thing only for the people new to FCP. No, that is basically just step #1... "what footage are you going to be working with on this project?" Choose the setting and everything is set up. I use it all the time.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stefanie Mackay
on May 19, 2011 at 2:05:38 pm

Thanks folks. I think we've now established that I am looking to learn and am clearly in the wrong place. :)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 19, 2011 at 4:00:28 pm

Look- when many of us started using FCP 10 years ago, it was pretty much a DV only app, or compressed CCIR SD (486i) if you had a targa card. You still had a large array of settings. Deck control, seq size, upper/lower field, frame rate, codec, pixel aspect, audio rate, etc. Basically the specs of your media. With only a couple types of SD media, there wasn't much to change, and we still forgot. It wasn't brain surgery, just a lot of settings. Nothing special to LEARN, just knowledge of the media you're shooting, and setup the sequence that way. Perhaps you don't realize that the sequence IS the project settings. Project settings are just determining the settings for any new sequences created. If you want to set up the settings by hand it is simply a matter of going through all the tabs and options and choosing the right frame rates, pixel aspects, codec, etc. As many have mentioned, that practice has been abandoned. Instead of there being a couple flavors of sd, we now have a plethora of different flavors of HD, SD, codecs, frame rates, aspects, etc depending on the camera and format. So feel free to explore all the nuances of all the settings. They're there, and the intricacies are too much to delve into.

What you should LEARN that no one mentions, is what codec to choose. In your project setup, some things are obvious- HD, 720p, 29.97, etc. You should choose an easy setup that matches your footage, and if applicable, your video card (Aja, matrox, etc). You can choose to work in the native codec you shot- DVCPROHD ( not DVCPRO 50, you didnt shoot that- that's SD) or a more robust codec with a full HD aspect. DVCProHD is anamorphic in nature ( though never labelled that way ) in that it is 960x 720 instead of 1280x 720. It has to be stretched horizontally to fill 16:9. And if you edit in that format, your graphics will be compromised in the same way with pretty obvious stairstepping. You'd be better off working in ProRes 422 1280x720 so that graphics and effects added will benefit from the less lossy codec, and full aspect of 1280x 720. That's the kind of basic knowledge we're working with. Not the tiny intricacies of each format in the settings. We all use easy setups and presets. Me, I don't use the AUTO sequence setup because, for example, in your case it would have chosen DVCPROHD 720p instead of ProRes 422 720p. The exception being if you were outputting to DVCProHD tape. In which case all pro res and 1280 would all be pointless- because it would get recompressed to 960 and DVCProHD by the deck anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]