FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Error with Garbage Mattes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Johnson
Export Error with Garbage Mattes
on May 19, 2011 at 12:03:04 am

Hey Everybody!

I've been having an issue with exporting one of my films using FCP.

I had to use a four point garbage matte to block out some unwanted background lights and create a black void around my actors.

It looks great in the FCP viewer (as you can see in the first image), but when I export it to .mov, .mp4, and .avi, the matte stands out. It doesn't blend in to the other black color from the raw video footage (as you may be able to see around the woman in the second image. Zoom in closely and notice the video grain in the black surrounding her).

Is there anything I can do to make sure the video file that's exported is an exact replica of what I see in my FCP viewer?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Export Error with Garbage Mattes
on May 19, 2011 at 4:42:20 am

Try exporting a self contained QT movie using current settings, then compress that file.

What are you're sequence's settings and what are the clip's source properties? HDV? or?

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog:

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Export Error with Garbage Mattes
on May 19, 2011 at 6:26:14 am

The difference comes from the fact, that everything you masked out is true absolute black, while the space around your actress is not absolute black and contains naturally more grain. Try to push with Curves or Levels adjustment the blacks in your image more to black, so you come closer to the absolute Black of your masked area. Also Feather the Mask a bit more, so it's crossfading and not so obvious.

Did it help?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved