FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP is sluggish while editing or saving project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
FCP is sluggish while editing or saving project
on May 18, 2011 at 4:17:33 pm

I am sure having an issue with FCP 7 being kind of sluggish while editing. I am working on a HD project on my Macbook Pro. Most of the footage I am using is on my 4TB Caldigit HD and I have more footage coming from a Lacie Drive.

After being burned a few times earlier in editing career, I try to save a project every 2-5 minutes. Now I am noticing that everytime I go to save, I am getting the beach ball spinning or just takes longer than normal to save so I can get back to editing!

This same thing sometimes happens when I am working with Motion too. Lesson learned from working with Motion is making sure I don't have any other programs running when Motion is open. That seemed to help and so I do the same with FCP. Nothing is open. Other things I have tried is to save my work then close FCP and then completely shut down my computer for a few minutes then bring it back up and usually that will fix the issue.

Anybody know why this is? My RAM is maxxed out in my laptop. A friend of mine asked me if I ran disk utilities on the drives yet and I said I hadn't. Is this something i need to do and is this where I would click Verify disk or repair disk or something like that? Would I run that on my capture drives?

Another thing I am noticing is that when playing back some of the video clips, it freezes for a quick hit then continues playing. I haven't figured out what is causing those little hiccups to happen either. When I pause the playhead and re play the video over that same section, sometimes I hit the hiccup again and sometimes it plays back just fine. Strange huh?

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
Re: FCP is sluggish while editing or saving project
on May 18, 2011 at 4:35:26 pm

Not sure if this has anything to do with it or causing to my sync issues is that i am editing footage from a 2 camera shoot. Not using multiclip. I am manually cutting between the 2 cameras. I noticed that one of the camera's clips from a Panasonic HVX200 has a size of 1280x1080 and the other camera was a Canon XHA-1 and those clips were 1440x1080. Before starting the editing, I set up my sequence to edit 1440x1080 Matrox MXO2 Apple ProRes (LT). I just rebooted my computer and opened my sequence settings and was surprised that it has been changed to 1280x1080 and the Compressor set to DVCPRO HD 1080i60.

Does any of this make any sense as to why I am dealing with the issues I spoke about earlier? I already have 40 minutes worth of cut footage on my timeline. Should I just keep the sequence like it is or should I manually change it back to how I had it? I am the only person that uses my computer so nobody else could have switched the settings.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 18, 2011 at 9:35:02 pm

[Chuck Purnell] "Most of the footage I am using is on my 4TB Caldigit HD and I have more footage coming from a Lacie Drive. "

I'd put EVERYTHING on that Caldigit drive. I'll bet the Lacie drive has a much slower connection.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on May 18, 2011 at 11:35:22 pm

I was considering doing that. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on May 19, 2011 at 2:57:34 am

Did you install the ProKit update? I started having these same issues immediately after the update. I first noticed the spinning beach ball in Compressor, but have also had the same video playback problems you are experiencing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]