FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiclip freezes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juha Västi
Multiclip freezes
on May 18, 2011 at 2:45:26 pm

I have tre 54 minutes long clips (live gig). Two of them was shot on JVC Everio and one Panasonic AG-AF101. Now what i did was i converted them to Apple Pro Res 442 (Log & Transfer) Okey so each clip is like 80gb....
No when i start to cut everything works fine like 20 seconds and then it starts to freeze and then the picture stops but the sound keeps going.
I just bought two inner hardrives...could the be to slow for this? or did i format them wrong? I used ac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled)..

Hardrive specs:
Performance Specifications
Rotational Speed IntelliPower *
Buffer Size 64 MB
Transfer Rates
Buffer To Host (Serial ATA) 3 Gb/s (Max)
Physical Specifications
Formatted Capacity 2,000,398 MB
Capacity 2 TB
Interface SATA 3 Gb/s
User Sectors Per Drive 3,907,029,168

I bought two of them and selected the mirror backup setup so i don´t have to worry about dataloss...

my mac is:

MacPro5,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2,4 GHz //Memory 6 Gt ecc 1066mhz//

or shoud i buy more memory? i have tryed defrag allso...

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Multiclip freezes
on May 18, 2011 at 4:06:50 pm

It's your drives. ProRes 422 still needs a minimum sustained data rate. RAM won't help. No need to Mirror your drives. If you backed up your media from the cameras, your data is safe. Create a RAID 0 with your hard drives. If you want safe, get an external RAID 5 enclosure.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Juha Västi
Re: Multiclip freezes
on May 19, 2011 at 6:00:20 pm

Hey Steve,
you were right about the hardrive. I ended the "raid" and took the mirror of. Then i formated the hardrive to HSF+ Mac OS extended (Journaled) and then copyed the material there. Now it works fine and i have no problems.
Harddrive datarate with "3" 442 pro res streams (70gb per clip) was 78mt/sec (624mb/sec).

thnx.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]