FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need external hard drive for old G4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Allen
Need external hard drive for old G4
on May 18, 2011 at 1:30:25 am

I have an old Power Mac G4. OS 9.2. dual 533 processors. It works great and I want to give it to my nephew to use. The problem is that the old Medea Raid I used for storage has gone bad. (I cringe to say I paid $5,000.00 for 500 gb raid back in the early days of FCP).

This is a dinosaur of a machine but as I said still works great and would be a great intro for him. I need recomendations on an external hard drive that would work with this old machine. I bought a Maxtor onetouch 4 plus 1TB. When I transfer files to this Maxtor the video stutters when playing on the quicktime player. When I try and capture on the drive an error i/o message comes up. I'm not sure but I think it's due to the old OS not being supported.

Any advice on getting the Maxtor to work or what external drive to buy that would work with old OS 9.2 would be appreciated. As stated this is a Mac G4, OS 9.2 and running the old FCP 3. The Maxtor is connected via firewire 400.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Need external hard drive for old G4
on May 18, 2011 at 2:46:37 am

[Mark Allen] "When I transfer files to this Maxtor the video stutters when playing on the quicktime player. When I try and capture on the drive an error i/o message comes up. I'm not sure but I think it's due to the old OS not being supported.
"

It may have come preformatted with something OS 9 can read, but can't write to. Format that drive. And how did you transfer files? They're probably a codec it doesn't understand. About all you're going to be able to edit is DV,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]