FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a sync map in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caitlin miller
Creating a sync map in Final Cut Pro
on May 18, 2011 at 1:24:04 am

Hi All,
I'm sure this question is a common one, but I can't seem to locate it in the forums.

I'm trying to get multiple clips from the same camera strung out in a sequence by timecode. In avid, there's a function called "auto sync" that will automatically do this for you. This way you can take the string-out from camera A B and C, then manually sync them together in one sequence to create a "sync map" of the scene. It saves a lot of time when prepping multiple scenes with multiple cameras.

Is there a way to do this in Final cut pro without having to use a third-party software, like PluralEyes?

I'm an AE, and this would make my workflow move a lot faster (the editors requested a sequence with the cameras stacked instead of having everything multicliped. That way they can match back when they need to)!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Creating a sync map in Final Cut Pro
on May 18, 2011 at 3:25:25 am

Try sequenceLiner from Spherico Film Tools.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on May 18, 2011 at 9:15:29 am

I've been wanting the same tool for a music video I'm editing at the moment. Will def. look into sequenceLiner.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2011 at 1:50:04 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "I've been wanting the same tool for a music video I'm editing at the moment. Will def. look into sequenceLiner."

Yeah, it's pretty slick. it will map all of your clips on to your timeline and set the the sequence tc to match your clip tc. It helps on tc synced multicam shoots...a lot.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on May 18, 2011 at 1:56:56 pm

Yeah, the issue I have is that multi-cam isn't practical for the shot we've done. I guess I could sort of make it work but visually seeing "I have media in sync here, here and here" is better for my workflow at the moment. Given a 38 layer timeline isn't optimal either, it's quite efficient in the end. Now that I think of it, it would be sweet with a cross-mix of both these features - i.e. being able to view a multicam clip as a timeline and vice-versa.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2011 at 2:12:38 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "being able to view a multicam clip as a timeline and vice-versa."

The great thing is, you can set it up that way. The first time I used it, it was a multi-cam shoot (5 camera, 10ish tracks of audio, free run tc synced). The 5 cameras were wandering around not fliming the same thing all the time, so it wasn't necessarily a multicam shoot, but the tc'd audio was started at the beginning of the shoot and ran until the end of the shoot. The cameras were free to start and stop recording as needed to change media, batteries, whatever. sequenceLiner helped me to previsualize the shoot and see what was going on at any given time/camera/angle. For the rough assembly, I ended up using a bit of multicam for it's multi-up viewer, but eventually ended up picking apart the various angles to make the commercial.

A music video is another great use of sequenceLiner privided you have common tc across all of your sources. And Andreas Kiel (the architect of the program) is totally awesome and really, truly wants to try and make your editing life easier via XML.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on May 18, 2011 at 2:27:49 pm

Yeah, I've got TC on all sources (well soon I will) as I've manually synced everything. Shot with a 7D with a bunch of different settings to TC was dodgy out of the box. Being it's a music-video timeing can be a little off at times also and you want to slip takes 1-2 frames for better sync which again is quite nice with a multi-track timeline.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2011 at 2:29:51 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "Being it's a music-video timeing can be a little off at times also and you want to slip takes 1-2 frames for better sync which again is quite nice with a multi-track timeline."

Exactly. In my example I gave you, we din't have frame accurate tc sync either, it was all free run ("1-2-3 go!") as we were using a variety of cameras that had no tc in. we were close though, and we had a clapper to calculate the offset. sequenceLiner allowed me to get perfect sync before really diving in to edit.

Return to posts index

Caitlin miller
on May 27, 2011 at 4:08:15 am

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm checking out the program now

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]