FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sending larger projects over the internet

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Lloyd
Sending larger projects over the internet
on May 17, 2011 at 10:12:05 pm

Hi All,

I have a few different sequences to send overseas to another company to tweak and work on. The FCP project was originally Canon 5D Mk2 clips, converted to ProRes 422.

Will there be any significant loss in using Media Manager to re-compress the entire project back to H.264 for FTP upload? Then on their end they can re-compress to Prores for their editing?

Any other ideas? A Hard drive and Fedex, might be the best solution. Just trying to think of the FTP option so I can keep feeding them footage over the week.

Cheers and thanks in advance
Joe

Curbsyde Productions

Australia Inside Out - April 1, 2010.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sending larger projects over the internet
on May 17, 2011 at 10:19:22 pm

[Joe Lloyd] "Will there be any significant loss in using Media Manager to re-compress the entire project back to H.264 for FTP upload? Then on their end they can re-compress to Prores for their editing?"

The answer to the first question trumps the second question. Yes, there will be image quality loss. If maintaining image quality is important, don't do it.

[Joe Lloyd] "A Hard drive and Fedex might be the best solution."

If you're willing to take the chance that the drive could be damaged in transit.
I wonder how big they make flash drives? They're a lot more durable.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 17, 2011 at 10:28:15 pm

Fedex is usually how a drive arrives at a facility when you purchase it. I would obviously have a backup of the files, but I'd worry more about it getting lost than breaking.

Return to posts index

Karen Cerino
on May 18, 2011 at 3:19:24 pm

Customs also tends to have fun breaking drives open looking for contraband.
I've had to split my timelines up so the exports will fit on DVDs for one client.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]