FORUMS: list search recent posts

Admin Protecting Capture Scratch Settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Spagnoli
Admin Protecting Capture Scratch Settings
on May 17, 2011 at 10:14:05 pm

I tried searching for this, maybe you can't do it. But basically, I'm in charge of maintaining our editing stations, and freelance editors keep changing the capture scratch to random folders over our SAN and it is making it a nightmare for me to find tape pulls to purge. Is there any way to lock out changing the capture scratch settings? Thanks in advance!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Admin Protecting Capture Scratch Settings
on May 17, 2011 at 10:24:39 pm

[Daniel Spagnoli] "...freelance editors keep changing the capture scratch to random folders over our SAN and it is making it a nightmare for me to find tape pulls to purge..."

Cripes, just lay down the law to 'em:
"It is a condition of your employment that you use this company's Final Cut Pro capture scratch settings. We will check early in your project to ensure that they have not been changed. You are NOT allowed to change them, or immediate termination will ensue."

A couple of freelancers get fired, word gets around, and the problem goes away.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Spagnoli
on May 17, 2011 at 10:37:40 pm

Hahaha! Thanks Dave, that made me laugh. If i was in the position to say that, I totally would, I'll check with my VP ;).

Though if anyone out there knows a way to lock out the settings I'd still like to know :)

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on May 18, 2011 at 5:43:13 am

Start with installing Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion, it's good and it's free.

Make sure it launches automatically when starting up the Mac Pro.

Make basic setup and explain to freelancers how to create their prefs BASED on the basic setup.

Fire up an email every time someone did not follow procedure, with cpies to all editors and a few levels up.

Worked for us.

Patrice

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 19, 2011 at 1:22:08 am

[Daniel Spagnoli] "Though if anyone out there knows a way to lock out the settings I'd still like to know :)"

You can lock the pref file or set permissions to read only on it. That will not prevent them from changing the Capture Scratch but FCP will not be able to update the changes, any changes, when it quits. Every time they launch FCP the scratch will be set correctly but it won't prevent changes during that "session".

I've asked for an admin default setting so when the prefs are deleted they go to our default not Apple's. Apple's apps are not written for admin management unfortunately. It's the "One man band" user Apple caters to... aka "The firewire crowd" or my favorite "The underwear Army".

John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]