FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make viewable QT of XDCAM footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nel Shelby
Make viewable QT of XDCAM footage
on May 17, 2011 at 4:11:18 am

Hi,

I bet this is somewhere in the forum, but I am typing the correct text for the search engine.

I have XDCAM footage shot at 1080i60 and my client does not have final cut pro so they can't see the .mov files that I am using to edit with. So, I thought I would make them a different kind of QT. I made an apple pro res 422 file and it was jittery and out of sync. What file can make them so that they can see it on a computer without FCP?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Make viewable QT of XDCAM footage
on May 17, 2011 at 12:35:50 pm

So far QT h.264 is industry standard for all deliverables. For clients I convert into it. Never heard them complain.

Free-lance fcp editor in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 17, 2011 at 1:19:10 pm

Not sure, but I think they just need VLC to play the files.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 17, 2011 at 1:45:32 pm

Yup VLC ... or they could download the free Sony XDCAM Browser app (or Sony Clip Browser) and view with that.

Return to posts index

Nel Shelby
on May 17, 2011 at 1:53:36 pm

Can you school me on VLC. I am familiar with the Sony Download. Could they still import these files into iMovie or another editing program? Is this the same for HDV 1080i footage shot on a Z7U?

Thanks for your help - it has been driving me crazy to make new QT files for everyone when it seems so easy to just give them the original XDCAM files.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 17, 2011 at 2:22:07 pm

VLC is a free media player with embedded playback support that will allow your client to view your XDCAM files even though they don't otherwise have the correct codec installed on their system. You can download it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
It would not allow them to import and use your XDCAM files in iMovie (or any other editing program). Same goes for your HDV files.
If you want your client to be able to play your XDCAM and HDV quicktime movies (without FCP installed) then you might suggest they buy the Calibrated Software's XDDecode Quicktime component for Mac. This will allow them to open and play XDCAM HD/EX and HDV QuickTime Movie (MOV) files in any app that uses Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Nel Shelby
on May 17, 2011 at 2:47:16 pm

Of course VLC - silly question. Curious why you would not let clients import HDV or XDCAM footage into other editing programs?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 17, 2011 at 2:50:12 pm

Lol. Me? You asked "Could they still import these files into iMovie or another editing program? Is this the same for HDV 1080i footage shot on a Z7U?" .. and I answered that No, they couldn't, not without the codec.

Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood you.
Andy

Return to posts index

Nel Shelby
on May 17, 2011 at 3:11:53 pm

Yes, that was my question - ok excellent - so I need to get them an h.264 file or apple pro res 422 - correct?

This has clarified what I already knew, so it is great to double check what I am doing. Thanks so much!!!!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 17, 2011 at 4:52:08 pm

[Nel Shelby] "Yes, that was my question - ok excellent - so I need to get them an h.264 file or apple pro res 422 - correct? "
Hi Nel,
As Andy wrote, to be able to read the XDCAM files in order to convert to other QT codec, you need FC.6.0.2 up, or Calibrated.
If you want to convert the stuff to Prores, you will anyway need FC.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nel Shelby
on May 17, 2011 at 5:17:04 pm

Sorry I am not asking the question in the right way. I have FCP 7 and I need to make a file for my client of both XDCAM footage and HDV footage and they want to be able to use those files to edit in iMovie. I want to give them the most native form of the original footage. Would that be Pro res 422? or h.264? Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 17, 2011 at 5:25:40 pm

[Nel Shelby] "Sorry I am not asking the question in the right way. I have FCP 7 and I need to make a file for my client of both XDCAM footage and HDV footage and they want to be able to use those files to edit in iMovie. I want to give them the most native form of the original footage. Would that be Pro res 422? or h.264? Thanks"
Nel,
iMovie is "Apple Intermediate Codec" native.
If you must convert the stuff for them, this is the perfect option.
They will be able to import and edit without further transcoding.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nel Shelby
on May 17, 2011 at 5:29:47 pm

Ok Perfect - this is what I was doing and then started to doubt. I really appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]