FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timelapse in post

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hannon
Timelapse in post
on May 16, 2011 at 5:06:08 am

Hey guys,

I couldn't find the answer to this query in the forums, and so apologies if it has been answered in previous posts.

I am wondering how to go about turning one long continuous shot of HDV into a time-lapse, in post.

Essentially, my camera does not have the capabilities to do time-lapses, and so I went out and recorded a sunrise - at dawn I hit record and roughly 40 mins later I came back and hit stop.

Obviously, if I simply increase the speed of the clip in FCP, it's too much data for playback.

I was just wondering what the best way to create the time-lapse effect will be (in post)?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Timelapse in post
on May 16, 2011 at 6:02:39 am

[Matt Hannon] "Obviously, if I simply increase the speed of the clip in FCP, it's too much data for playback.

I was just wondering what the best way to create the time-lapse effect will be (in post)?"

Speed up the clip. A lot. It's just that simple.
Figure out the length of the finished shot, and mark the in and out of the source footage. Use fit/fill to set the speed for you if you like.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on May 16, 2011 at 8:46:45 am

yeah right... well that makes me look a tad silly.. ha.

I had already done that, its just I then get a green render line above the clip, so i thought there may be a better solution...

Thanks for the help... sorry if it was obvious answer!!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 16, 2011 at 12:29:05 pm

Yes. Um...render it.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 16, 2011 at 9:55:36 pm

Speeding up, is limited; You can speed up only x 1000, and quiet often you need something faster.
A "Fit to Fill": You set the length of the time-lapse you want, and FC will set the speed.
Don't need to break your head.
Whatever the way you do it (Speed/Fit to fill) DON'T FORGET TO UNCHECK "FRAME BLENDING".
RAFAEL

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on May 17, 2011 at 12:26:45 am

I've done this in the past with really nice results by simply taking portions of the longer clip and fading them into each other. You can try this in addition to speeding it up.

Depends also what you're shooting. I was shooting a Seattle skyline sunset, so if it's sped up a reasonable amount, and then you so some fades, you get a really nice effect. You just do a succession of several fades maybe every 5-10 minutes of your footage for say a sunset, and it advances quickly and you get a really cool effect. Experiment with layering several really really long fades over each other too, you get the lights coming on and such smoothly, etc. If you had say traffic or people walking around, it might not quite get you the time-lapse type effect you're looking for a-la Koyaanisqatsi.

But that's what I did when I didn't know what I was doing, and it looked great! Not that I know what I'm doing now... ;)

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on May 17, 2011 at 1:50:36 am

Cheers guys... all great ideas..

I'll have a play around with a few of the suggestions - awesome!

m

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]