FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eamonn colfer
mpeg4
on May 16, 2011 at 1:38:29 am

What is the best way to get MPEG4 files into final cut (express) without a loss of resolution?
I tried Wondershare video file converter but the quality of the converted file is too low.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: mpeg4
on May 16, 2011 at 2:43:07 am

MPEG Streamclip - it's free - transcode (export is what the app calls it) to DV for SD video, or AIC for HD, as those are the only two codecs that FCE uses.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

eamonn colfer
on May 16, 2011 at 9:14:11 am

Hi David. Tried that & looked like it was going to work but when I brought a clip into Streamclip it continuously failed to recognise any audio or video files. The footage was originally HD and plays fine in VLC, which is annoying. I'll try look for something to export it as AIC file. Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 16, 2011 at 2:35:25 pm

Hi Eamonn

Maybe you should elaborate a little on where these files come from. Am guessing here, but it sounds to me like they may be XDCAM EX clips in their native MP4 wrapper? If so then you don't have that quicktime codec (XDCAM EX) on your system unless you have FCP installed (it does not come with FCE). Other than VLC, you can download and use Sony's free Clip Browser application to view the files. You can also download and use Sony's free XDCAM Transfer application to rewrap these MP4 files as Quicktime MOV files (but you still won't be able to read them in Quicktime without the XDCAM EX codec). You can buy and install Calibrated Software's XDDecode Quicktime component tho .. that will allow you to read any Quicktime (MOV) wrapped movie versions of these files (ie those imported via XDCAM Transfer), and/or you could also buy and install Calibrated Software's MP4-EX Quicktime component that would allow you to directly open the MP4 files in Quicktime without even rewrapping as MOV first (you still have to have the XDDecode component as well tho).

Note: Sony have a new app called "XDCAM Browser" ... that one actually combines the functions of XDCAM Transfer and Clop Browser in a single app. Not yet quite as polished and capable as the previous two apps combined would be enough for your needs of viewing and potentially rewrapping.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]