FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Live HDV through firewire (no deck control) setting needed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Shepherd
Capture Live HDV through firewire (no deck control) setting needed
on May 15, 2011 at 11:15:07 pm

Hello out there..

I am trying to get the right settings to CAPTURE NOW "live" from a Sony HDV camera (SONY Z1U) via firewire WITHOUT recording to tape. I am filming wildlife. I have tried all the setting in FCP 7 , I see the live feed from the camera in the capture window but when I press capture now, it says it is searching for media. I have changed the AUDIO VIDEO setting to HDV with a NON-CONTROLLABLE device, and I have chosen EASY SETUP for HDV. I also at times (when I change the settings get a prompt saying that BOTH the device and the Capture setting must BOTH be set to HDV. I though they were. Can anyone out there give me advice. I don't want to record to tape because of the subject matter. I want to record live via firewire. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Capture Live HDV through firewire (no deck control) setting needed
on May 15, 2011 at 11:23:51 pm

If you use easy setup for HDV it will set an HDV device control. You have to use the Sony HDV capture preset with a non-controllable device preset.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 15, 2011 at 11:27:16 pm

I'm not certain that you can capture HDV live because it is a GOP (group of pictures) format.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 16, 2011 at 12:15:27 am

I'm with the good Mr. Weiss on this one; I don't think you can do it with what you have. Presumably, you want to use the firewire connection, But that's only good for Log & Capture or Log & Transfer. It can't handle the real-time HD picture.

You'd need something that could use the HD-SDI or HDMI outs on your camera to do that. An AJA IO box comes to mind for that task.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on May 16, 2011 at 3:25:33 am

Mark,

I have a Canon XH A1 and I've been recording narration using it's mic LIVE via firewire, straight to the harddrive. I just checked my settings. Capture Preset - HDV. Device Control - HDV Firewire. I capture using "Capture Now" - the rest are grayed out. Works just fine.

But for this to work properly, I have to turn my camera on before loading FCP, and there has to be a tape in the camera that engages. Once FCP opens, I open log and capture and I'm good to go from there - stop and start, for as long as I want. If I don't do this fast enough and the tape disengages from the camera's heads, it won't work. If I turn the camera on after opening FCP, it won't work.

I can't see this being any different with a Sony camera. Give it a try and let me know.

Chris

Return to posts index

Derek Tow
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:22:50 pm

Hey Chris,

I have an XH-A1 as well and am testing these settings. Yes - once the tape head disengages, it stops working. But, if you hit record on the tape, it will capture through firewire for as long as the tape is rolling. Plus then you have a tape back up.

Derek

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 9, 2011 at 5:02:10 pm

Hey... interesting to see this thread woken up. With my XH A1, I only need the tape engaged when I open the Log & Capture window. This gives me the 'Now' option. The tape soon disengages but that doesn't prevent me from capturing live from there on, stop & start. However, if I close the Log & Capture window and try to reopen it, I won't get the 'Now' option and have to start over from the beginning... But in response to your comment, Derek, I don't need to be recording on tape simultaneously.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]