FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Format 24 bit and 32 bit in same project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin August
Audio Format 24 bit and 32 bit in same project
on May 15, 2011 at 1:31:24 am

Hello Creative Cow Community,

I am at the beginning stages of syncing footage for a film while the jam sync gets sorted out on set. I am transcoding media through Redcine-x and that program generates a ProRes file with audio at 48KHz (our audio capture setting), but with an Audio Format of 32-bit.

Since the jam sync was inconsistent, and the timecode was not lining up the first couple of days, I imported the audio files directly into FCP and then synced with the ProRes. This generated new master clips, again retaining the 48KHz, but with an audio format of 24-bit.

I am assisting on this project and when I moved these mixed rate bins over to my editor's project, it threw the media off-line. When I re-linked, it gave me an error message and threw everything out of sync. I had to relink each clip individually in order to bring the sync back.

Anyhow I digress...I have a couple of questions; Can I mix 32-bit and 24-bit audio formats if the Audio rate is consistent at 48KHz? It would save me time now that time code is starting to get closer to just go with the 32 bit audio and slip the clips in FCP. I am pretty concerned about storage however.

Any light you can shed is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio Format 24 bit and 32 bit in same project
on May 16, 2011 at 1:14:41 am

FCP can only deal with 16 or 24 bit audio in the timeline. Make sure everything is 48khz and uncompressed PCM (either wav or aif).

Although FCP will say 32 bit timeline, it is just the internal processing rate for the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]