FORUMS: list search recent posts

Offline Multiclip Editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Richardson
Offline Multiclip Editing
on May 13, 2011 at 5:50:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've established that my computer can't handle multiclip with 3 angles at 1080p. Is there a way to scale down the quality so that I can edit, then scale it back up at the end? I've heard "offline editing" mentioned several times but have never had it explained. Might this method work? And if so, what is it?

Thanks!

-Graham

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Offline Multiclip Editing
on May 13, 2011 at 6:59:01 pm

Here's a tutorial on how to make offline clips with online media, and then reconnect later:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Graham Richardson
on May 17, 2011 at 5:10:51 pm

Awesome! I'll check it out. Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Graham Richardson
on May 17, 2011 at 5:26:51 pm

If you didn't import the footage in ProRes Proxy, do you have to re-import or is there a way to convert it?

Return to posts index

Graham Richardson
on May 17, 2011 at 5:28:46 pm

Oh... And ProRes Proxy doesn't show up in my sequence settings menu. Is there a plugin I have to download?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 17, 2011 at 5:30:10 pm

If you are running FCP 6, you won't have ProRes Proxy. What version do you have?

Shane

Return to posts index

Graham Richardson
on May 17, 2011 at 5:57:25 pm

Yup. You're exactly right. Version 6.0.4. Is there a different codec I could use?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 17, 2011 at 6:19:23 pm

Well, the issue you will run into now is that any other codec won't be full sized...won't match the pixel dimensions of what you have now. So any graphics and moves on stills will have to be redone. If you use DV...720x480...that's a lot smaller than 1920x1080. But, it was an offline codec a lot of people used. And Offline RT as well...that's even smaller. Those are options, but just know, redoing graphics work will have to occur.

Shane

Return to posts index

Giacomo Sardelli
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:14:47 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem, so I tried your tutorial (the second part, since I store videos directly on the Hard Drive).
I need to edit 720p@24 fps videos taken with 3 cameras: 2 nikon d5000 and 1 jvc hm100.
I converted everything to ProRes HQ, also because the video taken with the jvc was @50fps, I had to reduce it to 24. I'm editing with FCP 6.0.6.
I stored the files on an external WD firewire hard drive, and I used media manager to make offline RT HD @24 versions of the ProRes originals, then edited in multicam. I saved the Offline vids in a folder on the same disk, as it's the only one I have.
Everything works, I go through multiclip edit perfectly, except when I relink the ProRes videos to export in High Resolution. At that moment the videos become oversized, and they exceed the Sequence resolution. I also get an error message when relinking the online media, saying that the A/V inputs are different.

What would be a nice solution?

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

"If you don't know what it is, it's JAZZ!" - Novecento (A. Baricco)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]