FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:3 video accidently edited on 1080 timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
4:3 video accidently edited on 1080 timeline
on May 13, 2011 at 2:16:15 am

Hey Gang,

While I was preparing to edit some HD 1920x1080i footage, I had some SD footage that was shot with the Panasonic DVX100 that I needed to cut. I forgot to change my sequence settings and now the project is completely finished, I have vertical black bars on each side of the screen. When I exported my file, it showed it was 1920x1080 but the footage is not HD.

I tried opening the sequence then going to the top menu and selecting SEQUENCE, then SETTINGS, and manually changed it from HD to 4:3 and hit okay. This caused everything to be stretched out and distorted looking. I couldn't make out people in the video nor could I see the titles on the screen. When I switched the settings back to 1920x1080 it looked perfect (well perfect in the sense of it wasn't stretched out. It still had the black bars on each side.)

Without having to edit this 5 minute video again, is there a way I can correct this? Oh yea when I right clicked on any given clip in that sequence and then clicked settings or item properties, it showed the clips were 720x480. Shouldn't they have been 640x480 being as though its SD footage? I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 4:3 video accidently edited on 1080 timeline
on May 13, 2011 at 6:47:25 am

Open a new seq., this time with the proper settings. Then, sellect all and copy from the HD seq. and paste into the new seq. Now, use remove attributes and check basic motion and distort to reset those parameters in the motion tab.

So, now you've hopefully to assume nothing when starting a new project. Right?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on May 13, 2011 at 3:49:11 pm

Before I posted to the "Cow" I did exactly what you suggested except I did not remove attributes nor did I check distort or motion so I will try it again and see if that works.

I think what I did wrong is that I am about to start editing a project that was shot in 1080i but then I had someone shoot behind the scenes footage in 4:3 and not thinking, I imported all footage together for the one project and went ahead and edited the 4:3 footage on that 1080 timeline when it should have been on its own timeline probably in a whole separate project too!

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 13, 2011 at 4:10:55 pm

[Chuck Purnell] "I did exactly what you suggested except I did not remove attributes nor did I check distort or motion so I will try it again and see if that works."

It's not rocket science Chuck, but it is science. Of course it will work.

The only thing you did wrong was that you didn't check your sequence settings after making the very first edit. That moment in time is the crucial point in every edit. You can start projects a thousand different ways in FCP, but if you make that first edit in a sequence with wrong or mismatched settings you're setting yourself for a world of hurt. In your case you got off easy, because the frame rate was correct, had that been wrong you would have been forced to do a complete reedit.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on May 13, 2011 at 7:13:24 pm

Problem fixed! Yup after I copied and pasted the footage, I clicked on the first clip in the sequence and reset the settings then I just copied and pasted the attributes to the rest of the clips and everything is fine now! I knew it could be done, I just didn't know what the correct way was since it wasn't working what was suggested to me by some other folks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]