FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera switch on wrong field. How to correct?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Chernyaev
Camera switch on wrong field. How to correct?
on May 12, 2011 at 6:24:15 pm

I've got DVCAM tape with a program and captured it to Final Cut Pro with standart DV PAL 48kHz preset. Program has been shot on several Ikegami HL-65s in interlaced 4:3 and edited by an editor live.
Everything is fine on play, but when I pause on the moment of camera switching, I see both cameras at once: one on 1 field, other on 2.
As I understand this is because of different field order between Ikegami cameras and DVCAM recorder: cameras and switcher should have upper field first, while recorder - lower.
I tried Shift field filter, tried to switch clip to upper field first in Browser and put it to DV PAL upper field first sequence. No use.

I'm afraid this is not correct, considering MPEG-2 output. Is there a way to correct it? Move cut a field forward or backward to make cut appear on different frames?

SHOOT: 6 Ikegami HL-65s with triax adapters
RECORD: 2 Sony DSR-45, component input
CAPTURE: Sony HVR-25ME over firewire, DV PAL 4:3 lower field first
VIEWING: Cannopus ADVC-110 over firewire + CRT monitor
TIMELINE: DV PAL 48 kHz lower field first

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Camera switch on wrong field. How to correct?
on May 12, 2011 at 7:21:28 pm

[Max Chernyaev] "As I understand this is because of different field order between Ikegami cameras and DVCAM recorder: cameras and switcher should have upper field first, while recorder - lower. "

Nope. If your understanding was correct, you would see it on every single cut in the program. However, it sounds like it happened in only one place. My money is on a bad sync generator, which made the video switcher glitch as the button was pushed.

If the editor made this cut on action or on someone in the midst of speaking, you may have to live with it. Otherwise, it's pretty simple to cut a single frame out an entire program. Think split video and audio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Max Chernyaev
on May 12, 2011 at 10:30:29 pm

Dave, thank you for reply!
After a closer look I found out that it really happens only in the beginning of the program. Second part is ok, so I think your idea of sync jitter is the best explanation for this.
Never met such an issue before.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 13, 2011 at 7:18:49 am

Any decent switcher can be set up to cut on either field 1 or 2.
So this is a very common situation.
However, if it is only in the beginning, indeed there was a technical problem.
If you don't need to replace the shot, there is no need to change it though, it will display just fine, as the field order is not changed.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]