FORUMS: list search recent posts

On Computer Looks Great, DVD looks Terrible

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Martino
On Computer Looks Great, DVD looks Terrible
on May 11, 2011 at 9:50:41 pm

So I have been having trouble with this for quite some time now and with everything I tried and have read I just can't figure any of this out so here goes.

In the past, we shot a feature doc in 1080p. Our footage on computer was great as it was exported to apple pro res but then we took that apple pro res and burned it with Toast. I'm now realizing that was a dumb thing to do. In that case, what would have been the proper work flow to get it to compress to a DVD and still look decent? Im not expecting full quality cause to take 100GB and put it on 4.7GB isn't going to be HD of course but it should still look decent.

To put things to the test i shot on my Canon 60D a short 2 minute clip in HD. I put the sequence in final cut and did my bit. Then exported it to Apple Pro Res and burned it with DVD Studio Pro. AT 1GB i thought. hey no prolem, this will fit in full form onto a DVD. I put it into DVD studio pro and the file shot down to like 145MB of a full DVD??? Made no sense. burned it.. looked terrible!
What am i doing wrong?

INFO
Everything I shoot will be 1080p with Canon 60D
for a 1.5hr film my goal is to put it to DVD (maybe a DL)
What should my exporting steps be? What do I burn with?

Thanks
Joe

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: On Computer Looks Great, DVD looks Terrible
on May 11, 2011 at 9:53:22 pm

You are using Toast to create the DVD mpeg2 file - BAD.
You are using DVDSP to create the DVD mpeg2 file - BAD.

Export your sequence - "Current Settings"

Drop that file into compressor.
Adjust frame controls.
Adjust data rate.
Take the finished DVD ready files into DVDSP.
Burn.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Joe Martino
on May 11, 2011 at 9:57:14 pm

ok SO

Export > QuickTime Movie > Current Settings
What about self contained? Yes or no?

Return to posts index

Joe Martino
on May 11, 2011 at 9:59:32 pm

Also, do you have a base rule or thumb for frame controls and data rate? I understand not every project is the same but Im trying to understand the basics and that sort of thing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 11, 2011 at 9:59:56 pm

Ref file is fine. To create files locally.
Self contained if taking the file elsewhere.
They are the same when taking the movie file to another app for work.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 11, 2011 at 10:18:56 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "Ref file is fine."

As I wrote in response to you before Chris:

There is a good reason I always suggest self contained and never suggest reference files, and I suggest you consider doing the same. There isn't a single new FCP user who hasn't been burned by a QT reference file gone bad, and as advisors here who can save their asses with the flick of a pen (okay, a few key strokes), it is our duty to save their asses with preventative medicine before there's a problem whenever possible.

Hard drives storage is incredibly cheap, but losing one client because you unwittingly relied on an archived reference file can cost someone their entire career. So, argue with me if you want, but I'd rather advise people to waste a few extra gigabytes in lieu of losing a career any day.

And, as I asked you before Chris, does that make sense to you? If not, maybe someday when you've been around here as long as I have and informed as many users that their work was lost, it will make complete sense to you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Joe Martino
on May 11, 2011 at 10:40:52 pm

Thanks for that piece of advise I will keep that in mind moving forward. Can anyone advise me on one last things here.

let's say I have my file which is 1 hr 40 mins. So i need to the compressor setting of 120min for DVD. Is there anything needing adjusting other then the drag and drop? What can i adjust to make things nice but still fit?

Thanks
Joe

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 11, 2011 at 10:44:03 pm

David:
I heard you the first time.

Joe: You need to learn compression software in this business. You need to tweak/adjust settings for optimal results.

Sure you can drag and drop.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 11, 2011 at 11:31:14 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "David:
I heard you the first time."

Well, considering you didn't acknowledge or respond the first time, and you also ignored what I said completely, I assumed that either you hadn't heard or that you were only capable of giving advice. I assumed the former, but I guess I was wrong.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 11, 2011 at 10:49:13 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "There is a good reason I always suggest self contained and never suggest reference files, and I suggest you consider doing the same. There isn't a single new FCP user who hasn't been burned by a QT reference file gone bad,"

absolutely true.

reference files are not allowed at my facility.

As for other settings, turn on the frame controls, set the resize for best quality.

try the bitrate at 6mbps max. 5-7mbps is a good range.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 11, 2011 at 11:37:48 pm

[Chris Borjis] "reference files are not allowed at my facility."

I down with that completely. Gigabytes are only worth a few pennies, careers and reputations... Priceless!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 12, 2011 at 4:36:17 pm

After a previous employee mismanaged some media on a (fortunately for us) internal holiday video piece all we had as a master was a reference file which of course wouldn't work since the media was missing.....from then on the rule changed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]