FORUMS: list search recent posts

Confusion over choices

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Mitaka
Confusion over choices
on May 11, 2011 at 8:56:47 pm

I am new to Final Cut Studio and need some advice/confirmation. Over the last ten years I have been asked to create presentations for a religious community here in Tokyo. Up until last year I have used Microsoft’s Powerpoint but always been very disappointed with the loss from Powerpoint to DVD switch. Last year I was given a 27inch iMac and now have my own Mac Book Pro. Both have Final Cut Studio installed. Over this period I have worked my way through tutorials on iPhoto/iMovie/iDvd/Final Cut Express 4/Final Cut Pro 7. I am now on DVD Studio Pro. This year I have been asked to create a DVD on one of the congregation’s facilities for the intellectually handicapped which they ran from 1951-1975. I have over 200 still black and white photos which I have scanned as .tiffs and one black and white DVD which the Japanese created back in 1986. One of the sisters has done the narration and there is background music. There seems to be no problem there. Okay. Using the still photos (Ken Burns applied) and clips taken from the original DVD I have created some 30 clips (.mov) which I have then used in Final Cut Pro to get myself a 22min DVD. In iMovie I was restricted to NTSC 30 FPS due to the nature of the original black and white DVD. I selected 4.3 Standard over 16.9 because I am not sure (and still am not) how to select for the viewing audience. The final DVD will probably be shown show 20-30 times maybe and most likely over all standard-type devices. (TV monitor/DVD player/PC) Then there is the pixel size of the stills. I was just using the biggest .tiff of the scanned photos which I could get my hands on taking into consideration the need for transition space prior and after in and out points. Then I read yesterday in a DVD Studio Pro tutorial that whatever the size or pixels they will be scaled down to 720 x 480 for NTSC, 720 x 534 x 72 for NTSC SD DVD. Okay, can somebody advise me please:

What frame rate 24 or 30? Or doesn’t it matter when the final clips are brought into Final Cut Pro 7?
What format standard 4.3 or widescreen 16.9 (nearly everybody I know here in Tokyo has widescreen). Or can a conversion be done afterwards to 16.9 to have a copy for all types of machines? Do I loose out on image quality going only for one type?
Do I need to resize all (and I am talking some 200 odd black and white photos) prior to bringing them into the original iMovie? If I have to re-scale the originals, which of these two do I choose? 720 x 480 or 720 x 534 x 72 and is there an easy way to do this beside one by one in Photoshop CS5 which I also have. However, if I have already created the original .mov file with these .tiffs in will Final Cut Pro 7 compensate - or allow for that, or does it not make any difference at all?

I do want to take the DVD from Final Cut Pro into DVD Studio Pro via quicktime in the end to make the best possible quality DVD as possible.

Sorry for the very long winded post, but as you can see I am rather confused at this point about several issues. Hopefully somebody maybe able to put me on the right track.

Thanking you.

Mitaka (Japan)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved