FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec and file types?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John-Henry Opperman
Codec and file types?
on May 11, 2011 at 11:48:28 am

Hi All,

I desperately hope that someone here will come to my aid.

I have shot footage on Cannon 5D and 7D cameras to produce a corporate reel for a client on DVD and also to make available for sharing online...

I'm working on a fairly competent iMac and therefore not a Mac Pro with an abundance of processing power to create the end product.

Here are my questions:

1. To maintain the aspect ratio when viewed on a SD and HD televisions, to what codecs/file type must I convert the source (H.264 Linear PCM mov) files to enable a comfortable editing environment (eliminate dropping of frames) and

2. To what file type/codec must I export the sequence to create a crisp, clear and rich video file to compile the end product in DVD studio Pro?

I am South African and we use the PAL broadcast system as apposed to the US NTFS...

A chaet sheet or any documentation on when to use what will also be awesome so that I can wrap my head around codec's and file type management

I would appreciate any help immensely

Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Codec and file types?
on May 11, 2011 at 1:07:01 pm

You would shoot HD
Edit HD

Probably 1920x1080, 25p

HD is a widescreen format.
Export finished video AS IS. "Current Settings"

Drop that file into your compression software and create your SD DVD files or whatever delivery format you need.
There, you choose letterbox, Widescreen, Center Punch, Etc.

I recommend you keep the widescreen aspect ratio. This will FILL the screen for those viewing on a widescreen TV and will LetterBox for those viweing on a 4X4 TV.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

John-Henry Opperman
on May 11, 2011 at 1:23:37 pm

Hi Chris,

John-Henry here.

Thanks so much for your time.
So in other words you would youse the mov files from the camera as they were shot? Shouldn't I convert them to Apple Pro Res or some other format (using Compressor) to work with them?

I just did 4 clips on the timeline with the settings you proposed and they worked fine?

Is that it?

Thanks again!

Ciao
John-Henry

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 11, 2011 at 2:52:53 pm

NO, your camera does not shoot mov files. You need the Canon plug-in for FCP.

You bring in the files via Log & Transfer converting to prores on ingest.

Please seek out the Tapeless workflow by Shane ross tutorial here on the cow.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]