FORUMS: list search recent posts

General Error when I try to render out Snapz ProX video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Coppens
General Error when I try to render out Snapz ProX video
on May 10, 2011 at 6:00:18 pm

So here is my issue. I'm creating a tutorial on my personal website using Snapz ProX as my screen capture video. When I try to import all the movies to final cut pro and put them all together in a sequence to render I get a "general error" right when it gets to the end. I tried importing the footage to compressor and compressing to apple ProRes 422 and then bring it into FCP but I still get the same problem

To add more to the issue, It is at a very strange pixel aspect ration (1079x606) and the flowplayer video player only will play flv or mp4 so I may be creating the sequence settings wrong.

Any help at this point would be much appreciated.
http://www.jimmycoppens.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: General Error when I try to render out Snapz ProX video
on May 10, 2011 at 6:27:31 pm

FCP is a video editing application that works with standard video frame sizes and frame rates. If your footage falls outside standard video formats and frame sizes...it will take issue.

And 1079x606 is NOT standard. Converting to ProRes won't help...it's the frame size that's the issue. If you plan on bringing screen capture footage into FCP, it needs to be framed as 1920x1080, 1280x720 or 720x486 or 720x480. EIther that or use different editing software. I'm sure Adobe Premiere can handle this.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Coppens
on May 10, 2011 at 6:36:08 pm

Shane,
Thanks for the quick response! So even if you modify the settings of the sequence to "custom" and set the pixel aspect ration to square it will still crap out on me? I've done something similar before with h264 but what came out was definitely not very pretty...

I do have very limited experience with FCP and I've only used it for my personal videos on youtube and my website. Is FCP more robust if your using explicitly defined and common aspect ratios?

Jimmy
http://www.jimmycoppens.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 10, 2011 at 6:39:32 pm

FCP is designed to work with video formats. Anything that strays from that causes issues. Yes, you can change the sequence settings to match what you have, but FCP won't like it...and will most likely crap out. This is why when I did use SnapzPro, I made my work area 1280x720. But now I use Screenflow, that allows me to edit right within the app.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Coppens
on May 10, 2011 at 6:49:53 pm

Many Thanks Shane.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 10, 2011 at 8:01:08 pm

James,
Cutting and exporting native, codecs and size shouldn't be a problem, as long as you avoid any video rendering.
The problem is that when you "cut" any GOP based format (and I guess Snapz is) there is always some "rendering" involved. When you cut a GOP, the GOP needs to be rebuilt (conformed).
With more familiar GOPs formats (MPEG-2, MP4), QT/FC has no problem to conform the stuff, but seems that Snapz codec is not that easy.
Anyway I would try to make some cuts and try to export without rendering from FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 12, 2011 at 2:09:15 pm

[Shane Ross] "I'm sure Adobe Premiere can handle this."

Indeed it does. Create a new sequence, click on the sequence settings tab and then change the editing mode to desktop, the aspect ratio, etc.

OR...

You can just import the clip into the project and drag it to the 'new item' button. It will automatically create a sequence based on the settings of your video.

In most cases, it plays just fine. Of course, mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]